So if the MBP video card fails...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patmort02, Aug 9, 2008.

1. patmort02 macrumors member

...will Apple keep replacing it with the same video card?

I guess what I'm thinking is say 2 years down the road a MBP with an 8600GT has a video card failure. Will Apple replace it with another 8600GT or with whatever card is currently being used?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple usually replaces the entire machine if it can't get a hold of a replacement logic board.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

If you have Applecare they'll replace it until you don't have applecare....if you don't have applecare, we don't know what they'll do at this point. The main thing is that if they fix these things they shouldn't use the same faulty chips, and that's something they won't stop doing until they admit that there is a problem...

4. patmort02 thread starter macrumors member

Haven't they already admitted that there is a problem with the Nvidia chips?

5. PDE macrumors 68020

As far as I know, Apple hasn't admitted anything as it relates to their computers. Dell and HP, I believe have come clean but are only offering to update the bios and increase fan activity as a way of reducing the likelihood of failure...in other words, they're not addressing the issue in a satisfactory way. Still, admitting is the first step to a resolution and Apple hasn't done that yet.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

No. Nvidia has admitted there is a fault with a "batch" of chips but I don't think they've yet admitted the whole G84 & G86 line are doomed...as per the rumours.

Apple has said nothing.

[​IMG]

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

is the first one year warranty called applecare too when you first get a mac?

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah, you're still covered in that first year that you buy a Mac. To extend it for another two years, you need Apple Care.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I am pretty sure after 3 repairs that Apple usually stops repairing the machine and they give you a new one. If you dont have AppleCare and you are still within the first year, get it...because this issue might not be addressed for awhile.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That was not what he was asking. He asked if the 1st year warranty that comes with your Mac is called AppleCare...

The 1st year warranty is just the standard Limited Warranty. I dont think its called AppleCare.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wrong. Steve told me personally that the chips are fine. You can search for the image in some of my older posts.

It's up to you whether or not to believe this.

12. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

I told everyone the chips are fine from the beginning. Its so annoying how everyones so worried about their chips failing yet - wait, nobodys chips have even failed....

13. PDE macrumors 68020

Steve told you that "at this point" they "think" the chips are fine. They're obviously fine...until they fail. Not very convincing a statement.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL...

I don't know what to think.
    It's a machine, often the case it'll be outdated, superseded, replaced
    and dumped, soon enough! Just a question of time!!

Honestly... Dunno what's with all the fuss!! :rolleyes:

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I try to believe him, but he's been wrong a few times. At least the support he provides to his customers is top-tier, so I forgive him. :D

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Whether anyone but you believes that email came from Steve himself is besides the point.

Even if it is Steve, that is not Apple "saying anything." I'm talking about an official release, something they can stand behind and gives the consumers of this product peace of mind. Dell & HP have addressed this issue, currently Apple has not.