So, I'm buying a new MBA in a month or so...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jonesy135, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jonesy135 macrumors member

Jonesy135

This is my first thread so sorry if it is in the wrong section

so, im going to buy a macbook air 13" i5/8Gb/256Gb in the next couple of months ready to start uni this september. i will also be buying a magic mouse too.

As this will be my first ever mac and i am rather excited!!
    would it be terribly sad of me to pay the extra 6 quid to get them bothgift wrapped?? lol

like a treat for myself

cant wait!! :D

2. lonewolf604 macrumors newbie

3. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

haha no worries, that was my aim!!

4. riley41090 macrumors member

haha opening the plastic wrap is fun enough, double layer unwrapping sounds like overload to me!

How come your getting a Magic Mouse too? They're great but i love the trackpads on MacBooks - have you tried them and not liked them or you just prefer a mouse?

5. asting macrumors 6502

I would make sure you try out the magic mouse before you commit to anything. I was very interested in it, but it appears it creates a polarized audience. People either love it or hate it, because of the ergonomics. I nearly ordered one, then decided to try out a friends. It's far too heavy for my liking, and not nearly as comfortable as my small targus mouse.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy it!

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Why a mouse?

Why buy a mouse before you've had a chance to use the trackpad?

Less things to carry, lose, or get stolen.

7. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

ill use the track pad 90%of the time i just wanted a mouse for when im doing uni reports and projects as ive found it annoying the past dragging and dropping and selecting text with a trackpad -- would tthis be a lot easier on a MBA track pad rather than anyotherr laptop trackpad??

so general concensus is dont get the mouse yet... noted lol thanks guys

8. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

The magic mouse is on my buy list. The only reason being is the fact that my MBA will be plugged into a monitor on a desk so I would be using the Bluetooth apple keyboard I already have and i need a wireless mouse for ergonomics rather than anything else..

If someone could point me to a good thread on mice, that would be cool lol.

Oh I was going to use tesco vouchers for the mouse so the cost isn't so much of a bother!

9. asting macrumors 6502

Mice are rather subjective. Razer and logitech make fantastic mice in my opinion, but picking the right one can be hard. Go into a best buy or something similar and try out a bunch of mice. You can read reviews all day but nothing compares to seeing if it is comfortable.

If ergonomics are a primary concern I'd probably avoid the MM. It looks so cool, and i love fancy tech but I just can't really get used to the hand cramps.

10. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

not that i mind... but i didnt expect the mouse part of my post to be the main point people pick up on lol

11. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Sorry!!!

Not sure where in the uK I could go, please don't send me to PC world lol I will have a look about.

No more mice talk...

12. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, ergonomicly the Magic Mouse sucks. But the multi touch is pretty awesome. I use a Magic Mouse all day at work doing layout for a newspaper, and my hand hurts at the end of the day. Just haven't had the time to search for an alternative mouse.

13. BlueOcean macrumors member

Save the £6, go to Nandos (or equivalent) and get a burger to celebrate ;)

I echo comments about the mouse. I believe I've used 3 variants of Apple mice before and have hated every one (I can count the number of times I've used the one that came with my iMac on one hand). Go for Logitech, or another alternative.

Side note - I've also used many laptop trackpads and those little 'nub' thingies and have hated them all... apart from Apple's ones. They can't make mice for **** but they sure know how to make trackpads and multi-touch devices.

14. medi.freak macrumors regular

Also, I got the Magic Trackpad (everything is magic ;) ) and I love it. It does anything the mouse would do (except when you are a professional photographer, I guess) and you have more space for gestures =)
    Just my 2 cents

15. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

cool, thanks guys,

ill savee the 50 quid on the mouse (educational discount) and the 3 quid on the mouse wrapping
    (still sorely tempted with the MBA gift wrap lol)

and that will pay for 80% of the joli originals slip case to protect my new baby when its in my uni bag :)

16. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

I could not agree more!

Gift-wrapping for yourself is just silly. If you're using a monitor, you can get a thunderbolt to HDMI or to VGA adaptor or cable on eBay for that much...

Also, if you need an external input device, the trackpad is so much more versatile than the mouse - maybe try them both out in store...

17. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

No gift wrap, but yup, MBA is pretty much the best laptop ever made. God I love mine so much more than the 17" MBP I used to have, and I really did like my 17" a lot! :)

18. danrhiggins macrumors newbie

All Apple Products come "gift wrapped"

Their packaging is so class that I don't think I would detract from that with gift wrap. :D

19. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

its fun how much opening it is. I was watching some unboxing videos on youtube and this brit guy pulls it out off the brown box. hes showing it and everything and then hes like now to open it. he takes a lighter to melt the plastic on the box. I know the computer is well packed and would not be burned but i remember that feeling quit well when i was like noooo it hurts us. it burns us take it away as he held the lighter there to melt the plastic.

20. Newtype macrumors member

lol :D

I quite like Apple's white/red gift wrapping. If you're that excited, why not go for it! Enjoy your first Mac. ;)

21. Carrotty macrumors newbie

Same.. i'm going to get an air in about a month too and with the exact same specs as yours :) It is going to be my first mac too.. Sorry i had to post cause we have so many things in common here, though i have never thought of wrapping it up ;)

22. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

lol, it only occured to me the other day when (for the 100th time) i viewed my basket with it all in, and saw the little gift wrap option for only 3 quid! lol

23. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I use the current Magic Mouse at work with an iMac and the Apple wireless keyboard and its okay, but for home use I prefer to use my Razer Deathadder 3500dpi mouse, as its much more responsive and accurate (e.g. for use in Photoshop or gaming), its a serious mouse, despite the rather dubious name... Its a wired mouse, but the cable is really long and made of some tangle-free material, so it works for me...

I also bought a black leather/green felt sleeve from Joli for my 13" MBA and its absolutely gorgeous :)

24. Jonesy135 thread starter macrumors member

Jonesy135

I just ordered mine.... didnt go for the gift wrap in the end!!

also, didnt bother with the magic mouse, used it in store and figured it wasnt really worth the extra 50 quid

25. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Go for it... and don't forget the memo card with "Thanks for the awesome night! Love, Adele" on it. :D