So im confused about macworld?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrchainsaw5757, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Is apple still going to be there? Are they still announcing their new stuff? And also does anyone think they are going to be doing anything with the cinema displays?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Yes, Apple will be there in 2009 but it is their last year.
    They probably will announce some new things during Phil's keynote and in terms of new ACD...maybe...since the new ones are for the MB & MBPs only

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Steve jobs wont be presenting due to health issues.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Proof? Apple is COMPLETELY withdrawing which leads most of us to believe that it is due to the politics of it all; not Steve's health.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a blatant lie! That's how stupid rumors get started!

Attached Files:

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

What kind of rumors did you hear that from? Of course not! That's a lie....

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

(and Macbook Airs)

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

MW will proceed as normal except no jobs this year. MW 2010 will be apple-less I'm afraid.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

But apple will still have WWDC and other smaller events like the Oct. 14 one.

ChrisN

10. weekend warrior macrumors member

I dont get it.

Whats MacWorld without apple?

Wouldn't that be like CandyWorld without Chocolate? :confused:

11. gothamm macrumors 6502a

wow, it was in a keynote slide so it HAS to be true!

get real...of course Jobs will deny any health issues. Just look at how stock plunged when reports of his ill-health were mentioned. For physical evidence, just look at his condition at macworld 2008, compared to 2007. A man's body simply does not deteriorate that rapidly, under normal healthy circumstances.

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Not a whole lot, I wouldn't be suprised if MacWorld 2009 is the LAST MacWorld. Trade shows aren't quite as necessary as they once were. Without Apple, Adobe, Belkin, and others, MacWorld will become a fond memory.

13. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

don't forget seagate! they also aren't going to be there

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Pshh. Seagate. Call me when they sell working hard drives.

I'm basing this on my experience with their 1.5TB drive, both before and after the firmware "fix" (a sham to call it that, it did nothing).

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As to the original topic, we never even had proof that Apple would be presenting new products this MW, but as per past years' traditions and tendencies, it was appropriate to accept the fact that they would. We can probably still expect to see new products this year, but I don't see there be anything as large-scale as the MBA or iPhone announcement. Maybe a pretty decent refresh of one of the current product lines or something (mini, Mac Pro, etc.), but no major new product in my eyes.

But I think that Apple backing out of Macworld would be better for both Apple and the other vendors displaying at Macworld, I do not see it being a good thing for the conference as a whole, and will probably lead to the end of Macworld soon. But at least for next year the minor vendors won't be overlooked by Apple's announcement, and they will receive more attention to their products. And for Apple, it won't hold them down to a "set" schedule for when they have to release their products, and they will be able to develop and release new products on their schedule.

16. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

It'll be a regular, every year, normal Macworld, in terms of product announcements from Apple. However, no Steve Jobs means that the excitement during the keynote will be non exsistant.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but does anyone else think Steve could still make an appearance at Macworld? During 3 keynotes this year(March iPhone roadmap, WWDC 08, October 08), Steve was not the speaker for the entire(or even majority) of the keynote. I think Phil Schiller might just get up there to talk about some of the refreshed, and then Steve will come out and go "But there is...One More Thing" and then dazzle the world once again.

17. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You sound like someone who knows it all. :rolleyes:

18. gothamm macrumors 6502a

not precisely, but you have to agree that there is more to this than meets the eye...internally, with apple and steve jobs and the concern over the stockholders.

19. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Probably just wishful thinking...:rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but I've been rather dissapointed with the last few announcements, from the MBA, to the glossy and overpriced MB/MBP revisions, then rounding the corner of blah-blah-blah with the iphone, something I could never justify the montly fee for. Also the lack of any Mini announcement for over a year now hurts my heart. I'm sure other people had a field day though.

Still, the past two iPod announcements and the new iMac announcement were pretty epic. If you can turn the volume down on epicness just a smidge, I guess.

If they only update the Mac Mini this Macworld, I'll be happy (I say now, but my high expectations will probably leave me hurting). But, if Apple's not going to be there in the future, I see no reason to tune in next year.

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

These keynote speeches created a lot of hype which is what Apple needed back when to kick start the company back into the mainstream media. Now it doesn't really need the hype, they have pretty stable release channels to do this.

Apple only cares about the iPhone anyway, it's a shame, i dislike some of the ways apple are doing business, you can see in the not so distant future they will be jobs-less, its primed for any old CEO or whatever to step in and run it like any other company.

from a long time mac user and supporter, they have been loosing that 'sparkle' Apple had, think different even went so far as how they treated the company and it's customers.