So I'm going from Droid to iPhone...What can I do while I wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JWay, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JWay macrumors newbie

I pre-ordered my iPhone 4s from Verizon (woke up on my own before my alarm, go figure) and while I patiently await for it to arrive, I'm wondering if there are any tips or suggestions that I can do to get things up and running right away.

Since all of my contacts, emails, calendars, etc are all stored with google, does it make sense to start moving those things over to my Mac Mail, iCal, and other Mac programs now, or wait for iCloud to open?

Is there anything else I can do? If not, it's alright, Friday is not that far away (although if it's coming UPS, I have to wait until Friday afternoon, boo).

Lastly, toss in your rec's for cases and protection. I got a white iPhone 4s if that helps.

Thanks guys and gals!

2. brazil5376 macrumors member

I'm on the same boat...coming from a EVO. Luckily all my contacts are stored on my mac so should be a seamless transition

3. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Same here as well, coming from the incredible. Does Verizon usually ship with UPS?

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would start putting everything that you want on your iPhone, onto your Mac. And then when iCloud comes out, sync the Mac up with iCloud, and then when you get your new iPhone, you can go ahead and sync the iPhone up and get all the info you need right on your phone from day one.

Though I wonder whats going to happen with my iTunes library, I surely won't want the whole library on my phone.

----------

Having had a VZW iPhone 4, it was Fedex.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

First, welcome to the club.

Emails and Calendar Events will be synced by adding the Gmail account to your iPhone's Mail app.

As far as I know, you can export Google Contacts as (I think) .CSV files, which open in Address Book in your Mac.

When you connect your iPhone for the first time, you will have options in iTunes to sync Address Book contacts and whatnot - I recommend adding them through your Mac, as this guarantees their availability via both iTunes and iCloud.

Basically, start adding your data to Mail and Address Book on your computer for complete peace of mind.

In regards to cases, I prefer a front/back screen film (Power Support is number 1) topped off with an Apple bumper case. I have the iPhone white as well, and I enjoy using the opposite color for bumpers - black and white, and vice versa.

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm coming from a Droid X and don't plan on transferring anything except contacts.

7. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

Anything from Apple I have ever ordered has come FedEx.

8. JWay thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. I hope not...haha It was a great inner debate for me. Fed Ex shows up at my work in the afternoon, at my house in the morning, the reverse for UPS. Granted the difference is a few hours. But I'm sure you get it :)

9. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I see, thanks

Yeah but i didnt order from Apple, I ordered from Verizon.

10. steve dave macrumors 6502a

11. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

sure, I have a UPS hub right by my house so i was hoping for that in case i missed the delivery :D

12. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

What would be the best way to get our google data on our Macs to begin with? I'm coming from the OG Droid :)

Edit: thanks to the guys above!

13. JWay thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so when iCloud comes out, do we know if we can create a new acct? Or am I stuck with my college education e-mail address (that doesn't work anymore) that I've had for years? I guess I could just create a new one, then get around the DRM for my music. :/

Fantastic!

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I may be giving up my Tbolt, but I'm not ready to give up on Google. I have all my data with them and it stays there. I'm also a MobileMe victim, so I'm skeptical about iCloud...

15. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would create a new Apple ID to get a me.com email address (and get free push email at that :)).

17. JWay thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure all my questions will be answered on Friday or closely after, but I can't help be thankful for all of your help so far!

Glad to finally be a part of the Apple iPhone club...my last phone contract, VZW didn't have an iPhone yet. My Droid was a good set, but since I am Apple everywhere else I just think having it all the same will make life easy.

As for cases and bumpers, I know they're not all created equally, any suggestions for brands? I prefer to stay away from rubber as they don't go in and out of pockets as well. But If its a bonus to protection, I'll take that.

18. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Does apple use you me.com account like google uses your gmail account?

I've had an apple ID (like for use in itunes for years) But dont recall ever having a me.com account.

19. JWay thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I need to wait until they open iCloud to sign up for one...no?

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

How often would you drop your phone to gauge what kind of protection you'd need?

If you aren't of the clumsy type, then an iPhone 4 bumper would go perfect with the new 4S :).

If you are however, I suggest the Otterbox, but definitely not the Griffin Survivor, as that case seems kind of OVERLY bulky.

----------

They will now, after iCloud. All MobileMe and iCloud emails are AppleIDs.

----------

Yes, but you can still put stuff onto your Mac to get ready to sync it with iCloud.

21. murdoc158 macrumors regular

+1

Did this when I got my original 2G iPhone. Moved to a Droid and everything stayed synced. I'll do this again when my iPhone 4S gets here.

22. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Yup. I have my life on google and this is perfect. I also love having push gmail on my iPhone.

23. skidbubble macrumors 6502

One thing you are going to now need that you didn't have before is an elitist attitude of self entitlement. When you sign your new 24 month contract and your carrier refuses to upgrade you after only 12 months, you will need to act shocked, appalled, indignant and offended. Come here to the forum and start numerous threads reflecting this. Badmouth your carrier and let everyone know how horrible and evil they are. It's everybody's fault but your own.

Do this and you are well on your way.

24. steve dave macrumors 6502a

How does this apply to this thread at all? You sound just as bad as the people you are whining about.

25. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw