So, I'm Going To Amsterdsam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stepper, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Stepper macrumors regular

Next Friday (26th Dec, Boxing Day) for 3 nights, coming back on the Monday (29th Dec). Im going with 2 of my friends and we're staying in a hotel a couple fo minutes from the Central Station.

I just got a couple of question for anyone that has been Amsterdam recently

• Do coffeeshops allow you to put tobbaco in your spliff? I can't imagine how they would know if you got tobbaco rolled up :confused:
    • What coffeshops would you reccomend?
    • What strains of weed would you reccomend?
    • I'm planning on buying some smoking esentials while I'm out there i.e a crumbler, bong, etc...Would I be allowed (legally) to bring this stuff back to the UK (flying there btw)
    • Are the museums worth visiting? (Cannais College, Anne Franke, Sex Museum, etc)
    • Anything else I need to know?

Thanks to anyone that can help me :D

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

I can't help you with the other smoking-related questions, but I really enjoyed the Heineken museum/brewery. More fun than the Guinness brewery in Dublin.

The Museum of sex is quite good if you're curious about how representations of sex have always been part of art. Van Gogh museum also good if you're into paintings exhibitions.

3. noaccess macrumors 6502

This might help answer the coffeeshop/smoking-related questions :)

I guess you could click on Centrum, since the Central Station is in that area.

4. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

You can't smoke tobacco in coffeeshops any more. Be like an American and smoke a pure one. I liked Dutch Flowers because it felt like a regular bar that happened to sell weed too. Most coffeeshops are beyond tacky.

Eat at Maos.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL!
    I always enjoy reading the reasons why anyone would go to Amsterdam...

Our capital has the sex, drugs but no rock 'n roll appeal ;)

Not just Amsterdam. Most drug tourists come from Belgium, France and Germany looking for a quick score just across the border. Much cheaper and better stuff than from Amsterdam.... Our police has lots of fun chasing them ;)

What you'll also find out, is that the smoking ban from public places.. is not eh... that well enforced in some places.
    Lots of cafés, pubs etc. let people smoke. If the police come in to investigate, they simply get bashed, and kicked outside. :p

But, in all honesty, it's not my scene. I love to go to London, and see a capital city with real heritage, nice pubs, great people and fun.
    I hate Amsterdam.
    But, have fun anyway!

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Rykes Museum is a great place. Everyone goes to the Grasshopper to smoke, but try some others like the Bulldog and a couple smaller coffee shops on the side streets. If you're downstairs in the Bulldog and you see a Michigan license plate on the wall - thats mine! :cool:

The purple strains, to me, aren't that potent. Stick to the Afghani or just go with Hash.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep, and prostitutes too.
    Be careful, guys... most foreigners coming to Holland having a go at drugs do eh.. sometimes think they really can fly... and jump out of a windows 5 stories high.... I mean high... very, very, high... smashed even.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I plan on going to Amsterdam in the near future! I cant Wait!!

9. Stepper thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the advice :cool:

I seriously can't wait untill I arrive there :p I just hope that this "man flu" that I got is gone by the time I get there lol

Apparently a small shop called Grey Area has some of the best weed in 'Dam, so I'll definatly be going there. The Bulldog is meant to be a tourist trap and sell crappy weed at expensive prices, but 2 of my mates went there a couple of months ago and said that it was one of the best coffeshops there :confused:

I'm planning on trying alot of different types of strains but I know I'm going to be way to high to trek around to different coffeshops lol.

Also, i personally do not have a problem with smoking pure weed joints but the 2 guys I'm going with do, I just can't imgine how the people that work in the coffeeshops would know if your puttin tobbaco in your spliff...unless they're constantly watching you roll up :rolleyes:

But yh, thanks everyone for the advice, keep it coming :D

10. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Wow, Amsterdam sounds like a blast! (even though I've never smoked pot) What's the drinking age there though?

11. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is one.

12. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I wasn't impressed with Grey Area. Their atmosphere sucked and I didn't notice any comparable difference in the weed. But half the fun is in doing the comparison, so try a lot of places and have a good time! Also, it's always good to talk up the smart shop people. They love to talk and show you interesting stuff.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Drinking is mandatory from the age of 10 over here... :p

But, seriously, 16 is the minimum age for buying alcohol.

14. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

That's all you had to say, lol! I never really have known much about Amsterdam (heard of it, ya) but now.....I soooo want to go!

15. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Do you live there MacsRgr8? I'm sure it's quite fun...

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you can get it either AK-47 or White Russian failing that either Blue Cheese or White Shark, that lot should get you WELL stoned

Oh and if you plan on bringing bongs etc back just make sure you don't use them before bringing them back

17. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Isn't Amsterdam in The Netherlands?

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's only the bloody capital. :)

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

20. ghoztman macrumors regular

Instead of just going for hydro strains, why don't you look out for some of the following, all natural Southern African weed:

1) Durban Poison
    2) Malawi Gold
    3) Rooibaard (Red Beard from Swaziland)

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Because the hydro strains knock the socks of that lot, White Russian has a THC content of around 29%, beat that ?.But i do like Durban poison as it taste's nice

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I live about 15 miles east of Amsterdam.
    In my early twenties I used to go to Amsterdam to go out quite a lot. I have smoked a few back then, but I prefer beer much much more!

Maybe it's because it is so easy to get hold of drugs over here (not just Amsterdam, all of Holland), that it's less exciting to do it. I never really liked it much. Like I said, I prefer a few pints myself.

What is fun, is to see all the tourists. Man, few really are smashed! Drunk, high and then they try to do a prostitute! Usually they get kicked back onto the streets because the went out on top of her... :D

23. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Ok, I hope I can help with this.

I've lived there most of my life, a couple years back I moved to Washington D.C. because of my dad's work. I visit my friends and family every summer, and I must say Amsterdam is my favorite city in the world. I've done quite a bit of traveling and moving, once again, dad's work, and out of all of the places I've visited and lived (Europe/Middle East/U.S./Canada), Amsterdam is the greatest. Maybe it helps because I'm dutch and speak the language, but that aside, I still think it'd be my favorite.

What makes the city so attractive is the fact that it's not that big. I'm really not a fan of the massive cities. Whenever I go to NYC, I'm happy when it comes time to leave, it's just not relaxed, all the hustle bustle and impersonal atmosphere gets to me. Amsterdam has a population of around 800,000, and around 1.2 million bikes, haha. The people, the dutch, are generally very friendly, English speaking, and willing to help you out. It's a crazy city, every day I'm there I see something weird. Whether that's seeing a man on his bike screaming "I love alcohol" while I'm waiting for the bus, or seeing some kids riding home from school splitting a J on their bikes, it's all there.

Let me try to answer some of your questions you listed earlier.
    Do coffeeshops allow you to put tobbaco in your spliff? I can't imagine how they would know if you got tobbaco rolled up :confused:
    No, they don't. As funny as it may seem, you're not allowed to smoke tobacco inside public places, even coffeeshops. I guess if you wanted to drop some in, you could, but just smoke it straight, believe me, just smoke it straight.

What coffeshops would you reccomend?
    The Dampkring on the Heiligeweg (Holy road). It's the best in the city hands down, as a local there, whenever my friends went to get some that's where they went. They repeatedly win the Cannabis Cup and they were featured in Oceans 12. It's right on the Single, the innermost canal. It's a small side road, but it shouldn't be too hard to find, unless you've been smoking all day. Conveniently enough, there is a french fries (Frites in dutch) place right next door, they have the typical dutch fries, wrapped in Newspaper with a big blob of mayonnaise on top, Delicious!

What strains of weed would you reccomend?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I Never smoked a lot. As it was mentioned before, it's less enticing for the local people, maybe because it's so available but we just never did it a lot. That being said, it shouldn't take away from your experience, by all means smoke up, just keep your composure.

I'm planning on buying some smoking esentials while I'm out there i.e a crumbler, bong, etc...Would I be allowed (legally) to bring this stuff back to the UK (flying there btw)
    Not sure, I never tried to buy or bring back.

Are the museums worth visiting? (Cannais College, Anne Franke, Sex Museum, etc)
    Yes, the Anne Frank museum is really moving. Go mid day on a workday and there will be no line. But then again you're going in the winter, so it shouldn't be busy anyway. As for the sex museum and the torture museum, those kinds of things, I've never gone. Another good one is the Rijksmuseum, it contains a lot of historical and valuable paintings, most notably Rembrandt's Nachtwacht (Night watch). Only if you have time would I recommend going to see that, also near the Rijksmuseum is the "I Amsterdam" sign, a cool touristy photo if you'd like one, it's right near all of the big museums.

Anything else I need to know?
    I think I've shared a lot with you, and you should have a blast. If it were summer then you'd have a better climate, but whatever. Another great place to visit is the Vondelpark on the south side of the city. But that's really something for the summer. It's really cool, because the people will get off of work around 4 PM, go home make a picnic dinner, grab a few beers, and head to the park with friends/family. Just chill. And I think that really defines the younger generation of Amsterdammers, they live a low-stress life.

Another last thing, don't be a fool, sure party it up and smoke a lot, but don't do anything to damage the tourist's reputation. Whenever I'm there I'll see some crazy bastards, drunk of their asses, messing around, being loud and annoying to the people that live there. Don't be that guy. People won't have a problem if you're crazy stoned/drunk and laughing your ass off, just don't be a nuisance.

Alrighty, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. All of this talking about the city really makes me miss it.
    -Steve