Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
will I be charged for using GPS google maps while roaming?

I will be turning data roaming off

Jonnyfive

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
British Columbia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I live in Canada! Welcome!

heya

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008

how will you use GPS Google maps otherwise if your data roaming is off? You'll be charger if you can get access to it while you're roaming. Correct me if I am wrong.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

GPS taken as a standalone entity can work without pulling any data from the cellular network -- it is effectively a free commodity for anybody with a GPS satellite receiver. (With A-GPS you'd get a faster result, as well as the possibility to obtain results indoors or in areas with otherwise obscured lines of sight. A-GPS does require a data connection with the cellular network. But the iPhone 3G's A-GPS can fall back to regular GPS in the absence of such assistance.)

However, with data turned off, you will be unable to download any maps.

As a consequence, you will be able to obtain your accurate latitude and longitude, however your location will be plotted on a blank screen.

tobarefeet

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
I'll be in Canada as well

I will be in Canada this weekend as well... Go Leafs Go.
Yeah i know they suck, oh well.
I just got my iphone a week ago, love it to death, but a newbie.
This will be my first time with my Iphone out of country and after reading horror stories of huge bills I want to be absolutely sure of what to do.
I will have my laptop for internet in my hotel room, so i doubt i would need internet access on the iphone.
But if i do ....
What exactly should i have turned off and what should i have on to be able to use if in a wifi hotspot? If i am in one of those overpriced coffee places (we know which one i am referring to) can I use the iphone for checking email and texts without incurring charges? I have seen people mention that as long as only wifi is used i dont pay anything?
Is that true?
I also got the Fring App, tried it out, bought the year skype plan and have a local number with voicemail.
Can i use that at a wifi hotspot in Canada without incurring charges? My reading of boards leads me to believe i can.
I saw the international plans starting at $24.95 and thought about spending the $25 for less stress, but i dont know how much 20mb of data means in terms of actual use. And i'm assuming that voice is more than I would like to spend for a 5 day weekend where I would only call home 2-3 times to check on my animals.
Can someone tell me in little people words what i need to have turned on and off and answer my other questions?
Thx

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
You are only charge well using the data over the cell system, you are not charged from wifi. There are lots of free wifi spots around, dpending on where you are going.

If you use data over the cell system you are charged international roaming rates 60 cents/KB, it gets expensive fast. Starbucks up here only has paid wifi, Williams has free wifi, lots of restaurants have free wifi too.

You do get charged for data while using Google maps.

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
GPS taken as a standalone entity can work without pulling any data from the cellular network -- it is effectively a free commodity for anybody with a GPS satellite receiver. (With A-GPS you'd get a faster result, as well as the possibility to obtain results indoors or in areas with otherwise obscured lines of sight. A-GPS does require a data connection with the cellular network. But the iPhone 3G's A-GPS can fall back to regular GPS in the absence of such assistance.)

However, with data turned off, you will be unable to download any maps.

As a consequence, you will be able to obtain your accurate latitude and longitude, however your location will be plotted on a blank screen.

Although this is all true, you will still be able to load the maps before you goto canada and it will show up without using any data.

In most cases if you get directions it will save the views you had in the phone until you search for something else or get other directions.

I was in canada a few weeks ago and used this trick. Just got the bill and received no data roaming charges.

You can also do this with free WiFi anywhere in Canada and it will load a new map.

tobarefeet

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
okay. what should i have turned off my iphone when i cross the border, data roaming and what else?
Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.