Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cciliberto33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I'm going to ikea sometime this week and was wondering the major things there that could improve my setup there.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I'm a big fan. Visited three different Ikeas when I lived in the UK - and have been to both the Covina and Burbank stores here in LA.

Rule 1 : RESEARCH. Figure out what sort of thing you want, take measurements for the space it has to fit BEFORE you go. Ideally - already sign up to the Ikea website and build yourself a shopping list that includes all the different options you MIGHT want to buy, and then print it out citing the store you're going to visit - as it will then list stock numbers AND the locations of all the various part you might want to get.

Rule 2 : Tour around the show areas then retire to the restaurent for Swedish meetballs and fries and then decide what you're going to get.

Rule 3 : From your printed out shopping list - cross off all the options you have decided against, leaving what you want to buy....

Rule 4 : You better have a friend with you - some of the stuff is heavy one you get down to the warehouse.

Rule 5 : If you're going to buy a lot of stuff - research the home delivery options. For example, Burbank does do home delivery but it's expensive. Covina will deliver as much as you want - for $50. I've given them three trolleys full to bursting of furniture - and had it delivered to Pasadena....for $50 which is AMAZING!

Rule 6 : Have an electric drill/screwdriver for construction. Your forearms will love you for it.

Rule 7 : Enjoy funky furniture and accessories that looks great and is FAR better built than people think.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Rule 1 : RESEARCH. Figure out what sort of thing you want, take measurements for the space it has to fit BEFORE you go. Ideally - already sign up to the Ikea website and build yourself a shopping list that includes all the different options you MIGHT want to buy, and then print it out citing the store you're going to visit - as it will then list stock numbers AND the locations of all the various part you might want to get.

Bad advice. Not the measuring part, that's dead on, but the shopping list with locations.

The problem is that the catalog and website pictures don't really give you a good idea of what the stuff actually looks and feels like. I know I looked at a couch on their site and had decided what I wanted, what material, etc.. before going and when I got there, I got a totally different couch. The one I picked from the website felt cheap, the material color was nothing like the picture and it was uncomfortable to boot.

The Ikea experience is all about being there and seeing the stuff. Don't cut straight to where you're going, take the time to shop around and look at all the stuff they have to offer.

OP : do yourself a favor, just go walk around a bit, see the stuff you like, take the free pamphlets with all the dimensions and kit possibilities, then go back home, measure stuff out, build out your kits on paper and go back the next day to purchase your stuff.

Plus with my way, you get to eat the Swedish meatballs twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.