So I'm gonna be on my third iPhone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CKohkah, Apr 26, 2008.

1. CKohkah macrumors 6502

GRRR!

Two weeks ago I took my first iPhone back to the apple store because it was crashing alot and I was having problems with the ear piece speaker.

So they gave me a "New" phone an everything seemed right and good. The phone they gave me does not crash like the old one did and I definitely can hear people alot better then the old phone.

But... Now I have this annoying buzzing noise in the back ground every time I talk to someone. The people I'm talking to can't hear it, but I can and its always there. This started about 2 days after I got this phone form the store.

I'm going back to the store this Tuesday and I really just want a NEW phone as a replacement.

Is there a way that I can demand a new phone instead of a refurb? This is ridiculous!

Thanks,
    Craig

2. Oceansized macrumors member

They will give you a new phone. Not a refurb.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

They may give you a new one but it is up to Apple after all. Refurbs have a serial number starting with 5K just do you know.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Out of curiousity - were either of the two phones jailbroken?

5. CKohkah thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope Totally Clean. I'm an ATT subscriber and prefer not to mess with my phone. It costs too much!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its up to them if they want to give you a refurb or new.

7. CKohkah thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'm going tp press the issue that i need a new one.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I would. If the 'Genius' won't budge, politely ask for the manager and tell him all about it.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Thats shocking..

Out of curiosity, when you get a new iPhone or even a refurb for that matter, do they give you a brand new one in the box complete with dock, usb cable, ipod charger, earphones etc etc or just an iPhone? //

10. gowanis macrumors 6502

i had 5 bad iPod Touches until i demanded a new retail box. The 6th one worked. Raise a stink (politely) and you'll probably get a new retail box.

11. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I recently swapped out my iPhone because it wouldn't charge and it couldn't be resolved with a trip to the Genius Bar. The one I received was a refurb (i checked the serial). This one i have now is having trouble with MP3 playback for some odd reason. Instead of going back to the store again, I'm just going to wait for the new revision since i talked myself into getting it.

I don't think the Apple store will swap out your old iPhone for a new one, but I wish you the best!

12. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

No. I believe they just swap the iPhone for another iPhone. That's what I experienced.

13. gowanis macrumors 6502

to clarify, when you swap a defective device, they will bring out another phone in a plain white box. They will tell you its new, but its not. Its a refurb. They will swap just phone for phone - you keep your box and your cables, etc.

When I finally got them to give me a brand new one (sealed retail box), I had to give them my box with all the accessories. I had forgotten the USB cable, so they opened the new box and took it out, which I was fine with.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, the "white box" is a refurb, while the new iPhone will be in the iPhone Box that accompanied your new iPhone. Though it's not been confirmed that the "5K" serial numbers are "refurbs" as previously posted, the Apple Store employees go to the white boxes on a regular basis, hoping that you won't make a scene, and accept the refurb (which looks new), as "new" since it is NEW to YOU! I've got the "5K" iPhone at present, after my iPhone developed a software glitch back in October '07, and at the time it looked like a brand new iPhone, and it probably was, but it wasn't from a Brand New iPhone Box! I've been concerned with this matter since my son bought a Refurb via the AT&T store in Seattle, Washington and the serial number started with "5K" and it cost $249. I've talked with AppleCare and several Apple employees and they've refused to confirm the "5K" refurb issue. But, one employee said "yes, those are refurbs in the white box, but I'm not sure about the 5K serial number." :eek:

15. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

To be fair, the Geniuses won't even pretend the iPhone their giving you is new. I think you should go into this expecting a refurb because that's industry standard. If you care enough to make a stink about it, then go ahead. In my experience, there hasn't been much of a difference between refurbs and new apple products with a few glitches here and there. The glitches i'm experiencing aren't major enough to warrant me returning the device again.

16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

they best make damn sure that u are aware its a refurb...

17. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

It's probably indicated on the receipt they give you but there wasn't any conversation concerning the condition of the replacement iPhone. I think if I came to him less knowledgable, it would've been spelled out, but I knew what the white box was about.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only boxes the Genius Bar work with for iPhones are the "white boxes". It's random as to if the white box has a refurb or a new iPhone inside.

Apple does not send replacement parts in retail boxes, regardless of its new or refurbed, to the Genius Bar. They come in plain boxes, and with just the part, ... not accessories like the dock, cables, etc.

19. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

true.. so refurbs and brand news are mixed in white boxes. how does the genius decide who is worthy of brand new and who only gets refurb?

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

The one's I've seen in action don't play games like that. They'll grab the top white box from the shelf and use it.

21. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

im sure if your iphone was relatively new like a month or less maybe you could demand brand new//