So I'm looking for an external monitor...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yumunum, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

This summer I'm going to be purchasing my new technological setup. A computer (MacBook Air), something else to use as an external monitor for a higher resolution, an Xbox 360 and an HDTV.

I'm having a hard time deciding what is best (for usability, and my budget). At first I thought I'd use an HDTV as an external monitor, but I've now realized that I would have to turn it on/off constantly throughout the day (especially because I'd buy a plasma TV for gaming and it'd get pretty warm). This would be too much of a hassle for me and I know I would barely use it. I need something quick to use at random times (like an iMac. As soon as you want to use it you click a button and BOOM you're on)

Am I correct when I say that an Apple Cinema Display has this automatic on/off function? If so, that would be handy, but I'm not sure I could swallow the price. I know my list of things to buy looks like I have a ton of money but I really don't, and I'm trying to be as money-cautious as possible. Are there other external monitors that have that function? And if so, what is it that allows it to work? Is it the USB plug? I'm just kinda curious there.

Any other advice for me? Ideas? Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Why is that? I'm curious, and I want to make an informed decision on what kind of TV to buy

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Sigh. Say this with me. LED is not better than plasma. LED is just a backlighting technology (alternative to CCFL) for LCD monitors and TVs.

With exception of very few and latest generation LED-based LCD TVs, plasmas blow them away with deeper black and higher motion resolution. Otherwise, the only major reason to consider LED-based LCD over plasma is for energy efficiency and design (they are typically thinner and lighter).

That said, just about every single LCD monitors on the market have automatic power management. Heck, Apple's LED Cinema Display does not have a single button (not even power).

5. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Automatic power management? What kind? Surely an HDTV wouldn't turn on/off when my computer wakes/sleeps, would it? I don't know how that would work. But I've never owned an HDTV so I'm not sure what capabilities most have.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

I said LCD "monitors" not TV. That said, some TVs have auto power off feature. For auto power on to work, however, I believe you need an HDMI source that sends out CEC signal (which also tells the TV to switch the source). Macs do not send CEC signal.

7. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Sweet, thanks for the help! Now I'm curious, do webcams/mice, ect. that are on external monitors play nice with Macs? I'd try and find a cheaper monitor than an ACD.

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am not sure about all the monitors, but cameras on Dell monitors work with Mac (I'd Google the model # to make sure, however).

Also, I would try to limit the monitor to those with mini DisplayPort input. Many report display issues (e.g., static) when used with DVI adapter.