So... I'm moving to San Diego.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nateDEEZY, May 22, 2007.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Well right now I'm living in the Bay Area and my company is having me move to San Diego there going to fly me out probably on the week of June 11th and I was wondering if anyone could shoot me some ideas of good places to rent/live. The company is located in the zip code 92128, if I could live less than 25miles away and pay at the (very) most $1K/month on rent that would be awesome. I've used craigslist already, but I'd like to get a sense of how the neighborhoods are. Or other peoples experiences who live down there. Also would prefer living in a place that has a good population of 20 something year olds, (me being 20 and all, well turning 21 in November :p)

Thanks in advance!

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

by the looks of it, your company is in poway, northeast of san diego (just google earthed it), so you're basically looking in inland north county. the 15 is terrible traffic-wise during rush hour, so be aware of that. but to look at apartments, it's "north county" or inland north county. that will be between mira mesa and escondino, i wouldn't recommend going much further north. i didn't live there, but i know a couple of friends there, and they say it's good.

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Poway is a nice place to live, I used to live there when I was young. I can't be any help on housing but Poway is generally a nice place to live. It is warmer than San Diego itself.

4. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys for your insight! I really appreciated it.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i lived in mira mesa for a bit and found housing to be quite cheap. keep in mind that every freeway in san diego is horribly packed in the mornings and afternoons. i hate the 15, hate the 5, 805, 52, 163, 8, etc. driving is a nightmare in sd. good luck.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

but the 15 is more so than any other of the highways, especially between the base and poway. but i don't know that much, since i lived in the city proper (between 1-8 and 52) and almost everything we did was within the city or just outside city limits (we didn't go to poway, el cajon, oceanside too often, like once a month).

also, adrath road or whatever they are calling it now is usually packed, and we would usually just go mt. soledad to bypass much of the traffic coming from the south from pb.

7. JLatte macrumors 6502

Well to be honest, the 15 isn't too terribly bad going North or South around the 92128 area, I drive it every day and it's gotten better, it's more the afternoon rush hour that's slightly congested. I live in Carmel Mountain which is in between Escondido and Mira Mesa, very nice place to live, albeit slightly expensive unless you have roommates.

I would recommend searching around Mira Mesa, Poway and Penasquitos for cheaper rent around this area. The neighborhood around Escondido can either be decent or it can be a place to have your car jacked (2 of my friends had cars broken into there, petty crime seems higher). Carmel Mountain is a suburban utopia, and Poway is decent, Mira Mesa has quite the aZn population with rice rockets galore.

Myself, I hang out at a coffee shop pretty much every night after work, they have live music on thurs - sun that I help run sound on usually. I don't know of many places around the 92128 area where there are 20 year olds except for my coffee shop and a few other starbucks in the area. If you drive about 20 minutes to Pacific Beach it's definitely full of young drunks.

Let me know if you have any other questions because I live right in the area you're moving to and I've lived here my entire life.

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I love San Diego. Its prob the one place I would move to if I left AZ.

Enjoy!

9. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I moved from San Diego area to Tucson AZ. San Diego has two big problems.

1. Too crowded, intense traffic.
    2. Too expensive.

I used to live in Escondido and Tierra Santa, both are nice and quiet. Tierra Santa or Mira Mesa are south of Poway so you would be driving the opposite way of most of the traffic. There are cool small country places tucked in around Lake Hodges if you like that kind of thing. And you have miles and miles of mountain biking right there.

-T

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

11. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't the traffic terrible there north of lake hodges?

12. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

You don't work for a company that is in San Ramon at the moment do you. Haha, if you are, cause we're down the hall from each other.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I would vote for Poway, Ramona, or Downtown. Mission Valley is TOO crowded. If you want that "off the beaten path" feeling, Ramona all the way. Horses, farmland, hiking trails, you name it. Poway has the best public school system if you have kids. Stay away from Pacific Beach or Ocean Beach.

Actually 92128 looks like Rancho Bernardo. When I was still in the military, I commuted from Pacific Beach (92109) to Miramar Air Station. And actually I drove against the traffic. So I don't think you'd necessarily hit alot of traffic, unless you lived NORTH of 92128.

Pacific Beach used to be nice, but it's too overcrowded with too many tourists. There has been a steady increase in violent crime there as well. I lived there for 7 years, but in November moved into downtown San Diego (Banker's Hill). VERY nice. Downtown living is great. Lots to do and quick freeway access (I am located close to the I-5 and I-163....but not close enough to hear any road noise)

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i don't know about now, but between 2000 and 2003, pb was a good place to live. my dad used to work at miramar and was always home around 5 ish, so the traffic that way isn't bad. most of the time, we traveled against the traffic, so it made the morning trip to oceanside a quick 25 minutes from our house. i guess things have changed for the worse there...

and without a map, i remember ramona being a bit away from poway, that may not be the best option. hope you enjoy the city anyway.

15. JLatte macrumors 6502

Seriously... don't move to Ramona unless you're a cowboy with an identity crisis. Ramona is NOT conveniently close to anywhere near 92128, if you like horses and a hicktown atmosphere (not in a derogatory term, but seriously that's what it is) then by all means check it out. Ramona doesn't even have anything remotely interesting in it, and I say this because I know several people who live there and they always have to drive far to leave the area.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the 5 between 5-7pm is no picnic. admittedly, it isn't as bad as it was before (go construction!), but san diego traffic overall is a nightmare compared to orange county and even los angeles county traffic. and city streets like ardath and genesee and coast highway just don't move in the afternoon. yuck.

17. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

second that...it's too far from the rest of the county, like a half hour drive from either el cajon or poway.

again, your main target looks to be the 15 corridor between mira mesa and escondido.

18. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciated it. Although I'm still looking, but one of my co-workers got me interested into looking into downtown San Diego. Kinda seems pricey though =/

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

It is. That's where I live. But it is sooooooo much better than Pacific Beach where I used to live. That town's really gone into the toilet. You'll never run out of things to do downtown.