so im thinkin of getting a macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tylerh87, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tylerh87 macrumors newbie

So. I am thinking about gettin a macbook. I have a Dell XPS M140 right now, running XP Pro. I like it, sure. I have never really been interested in Macs until lately. One of my friends has one and I love it. The looks, the way it runs, its just SWEET. I have a couple of questions though. I would like input on WHY I should get the mac? Im really skeptical of dropping the 1600 it is going to cost me to get the Black Macbook. If I get one, it will be the Black Macbook with 2 GB RAM. Sell me on it. Is the mac OS hard to learn? I am very very fluent with XP, and am rather scared of learning to use Mac OS. Is it hard to find apps for Mac that I could easily find for XP? Help a guy out here, because I am super interested in these machines. Thanks alot-

Tyler

2. banjomamo macrumors regular

it sounds like you already know why you want a mac and apple already does a pretty good job of giving you reasoning: http://www.apple.com/getamac/.
    dig around elsewhere on their site and look at the features in tiger and the upcoming features for leopard http://www.apple.com/macosx/ and if that doesnt convince you then maybe a mac isnt for you.

3. brandon6684 Guest

It isn't that difficult to go from XP to OS X, especially when just getting started. Sure, things will be different and you'll have to adjust, but it's not overlly difficult to get used too. I haven't had any difficulty finding applications to do what I've needed for OS X, actually it's a bit easier since there's not all those Visual Basic applications made by 14 year olds that you have to soft though. OS X is rock solid, and I like the full powered Unix underneath.

4. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I switched about a year ago, and was fairly fluent in XP as well. It was surprisingly easy especially with all of the helpful people on this forum. Also you might want to consider getting your 2GB of RAM from a third party supplier, as Apple tends to be more expensive.

5. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

i switched in dec and never looked back. just get one and join our cult. :D

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because you'll love it, and if you don't, you can always install Windows on it via BootCamp.

7. scottrob macrumors newbie

Think about getting a refurbished black MacBook. I recently got mine for $1100 and upgraded the memory myself to 2GB for around another $90 or so.

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Where did you get your refurb? Everytime I check the Apple store they never have anything. I'd personally like to pick up a refurb white macbook.

9. tylerh87 thread starter macrumors newbie

refurb

so if I am to get a refurb-will it be in the good condition a new one is? can i still get the 2.16 ghz processor? and i was going to buy with the educational discount as a college student. Will I be able to get this if I buy a refurb? I was also going to get the HP printer with the rebate available on it. Thanks for all your help guys.

10. scottrob macrumors newbie

I got mine from the Apple Store around the middle of May, just after they came out with the upgraded MacBooks. It was a 2Mhz with 1GB of memory. I forget how big the hard drive is. It was a stock black MacBook configured before the recent change. Very happy with it so far. Still relearning the Mac world as the last Mac I had was back in the LC II days. You just have to keep checking the refurb store and jump on it when you see one you like. I would expect that the newer models should start showing up soon.

I do not know if you can get a discount on a refurbished product. You will probably have to ask Apple.

11. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Jump in!

I recently made the switch after seeing my drum teachers ibook g4 - honestly - it was the best thing I have ever done. Ever. I have a macbook with 2gb of RAM and its great. As son as I get my insurance sorted its gonna start coming to school with me. OSX is great and very easy to learn. Buy a mac, you will love it! :D

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I was happy with XP.

Even during setup, I saw how great the OS was. A day in I could use most things. Four days in I could do everything I wanted. A week in I was completely comfortable (and loving everything I learned, and the process of learning). After about 20 days I was using all the nik-naks and keyboard shortcuts...

13. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

yeah been looking for a mini and same thing.:confused:

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The refurbs are already discounted. No extra edu discount or printer rebates. It's either/or.

15. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I switched back in November I think it was. Took me a couple of days to really feel comfortable and now I can't stand it when I have to use a windows machine. Everything about the mac is just so much nicer. One thing that did take a bit of getting used to was the single button trackpad, but once I turned on using two finger taps on the trackpad as a right click it is actually far easier than a 2 button trackpad.

Since I have gotten mine my father has switched, my in laws are going to switch, I have even converted my wife to being a mac fan. Next machine I am getting will be a Mac Pro to replace my old windows desktop and an iMac for in the study.

Love em.

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I couldn't agree more, fantastic system, you won't regret it ... :)

17. windeyes6, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

windeyes6 macrumors newbie