Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bblovestech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
STL
Hi so I have a very small budget for a new media center computer (yes I know that the mac mini is problem the way to go) and I was wondering if I should buy a Mac Pro 1,1 with top of the line specs or buy a base line bare bones 3,1 Mac Pro and upgrade the RAM, SSD/HDD, and video card.

MentalVizion

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Austria
I'd suggest you a 4,1 single CPU model. It is perfectly upgradeable and quite cheap to get nowadays.

Do the 4,1-->5,1 firmware hack allowing you to install Westmere CPU's and faster RAM. Make sure to install atleast Mountain Lion so you can pop in a nice graphics card. RAM upgrade should be self explanatory.

I don't see a point in buying a 1,1 model nowadays. The 4,1 models sell for not much more and give you quite a few more hassle-less options in terms of upgrading.

bblovestech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
STL
I'd suggest you a 4,1 single CPU model. It is perfectly upgradeable and quite cheap to get nowadays.

Do the 4,1-->5,1 firmware hack allowing you to install Westmere CPU's and faster RAM. Make sure to install atleast Mountain Lion so you can pop in a nice graphics card. RAM upgrade should be self explanatory.

I don't see a point in buying a 1,1 model nowadays. The 4,1 models sell for not much more and give you quite a few more hassle-less options in terms of upgrading.

Thanks for the advice and I found a cheap (for a Mac Pro) 4,1 and I think its the one http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-A1289...ON-8GB-OSX-10-10-640GB-Warranty-/191545611740

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.