So I'm thinking about returning my Studio Beats by Dre...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Tsuchiya, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Tsuchiya, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I've tried them out for the weekend, and honestly while I do actually like them they don't sound that much better then my old IEMs. Which is kind of an issue for me considering the massive price gap between them. Also they buzz near a wifi source which is a pain because my router is next to my desk :p

I really do need a pair of headphones though, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some?

I just need a pair that:

-Are comfortable

-Isolate well (i.e. I can listen to them at a decent volume without alarming people around me :p)

-Play well with classical music, hard rock/heavy metal and even hip-hop/pop.

-Are portable.

My music is either 320kbps or Apple Lossless, and I'll be using my Macbook Pro or iPhone as a source.

My budget is what I'll get back when I return my Studio's...i.e. about £280/$430.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

(edit: D'oh! Didn't realise there was a similar thread below this. Mods feel free to delete if necessary but since my requirements are different perhaps people will have different suggestions.)

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Would you be looking for the same beats sound? The huge mid-bass hike and lesser treble for an overall warm sound.

3. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

No, I guess I'm looking for something a bit more...crisp. Some vocal or instrumental pieces don't really "pop" though the Beats as I know they sometimes should.

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Hm. The DT770-80 is a good match for a lot of your requirements, but the mids won't be as forward as something like a sennheiser. The DT770 definitely has a Beats-type bass impact and with its refined treble spike, it has a very crisp sound as well.

There's also the Sennheiser HD-25. It's crisper than the Beats by a mile as well, very portable and sturdy, seals well and has a mid-bass hump that's decently impactful, but the bass isn't as predominant as the beats or DT770s.

The M50s are always a safe recommendation too.

Ideally with your budget, I think you might be able to spring for a Beyer DT1350. Supposedly its bass hits hard and goes deep, but it's just as portable as the HD-25. I have not heard that one, though.

I think the ultimate goal would be the Ultrasone Pro900, though. I havn't heard that one either, but it's described to have a very impactful bass, besting the Beats. Being an ultrasone, it's very U-shaped in frequency response, meaning the treble and bass are stronger than the mids, but ultrasones are also known for their speed and crispness, as well.

5. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

For that price, you have a lot of better options:

Ultimate Ears TF-10 (Triple-driver)—Warmer than the Shures, but apparently not as comfortable to wear. Probably the best choice if you're into lots of bass.

Shure SE-425 (dual-driver)—Crisper and less bassy than the UEs, also a bit more comfortable. Probably the best overall choice.

Etymotic ER-4P (single-driver)—Probably the best isolation of these three (they are an earplug company, after all), and also the flattest response. This, of course, means no super-thumpy bass, but a really crisp, clear sound. I actually prefer it to either of the above models, but I mostly listen to classical and world music.

All of these will sound much better than the Beats, and should end up being slightly cheaper (or way cheaper in the case of the Etymotics).

6. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

For that budget, you can get a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5s. Fabulous sound, excellent isolation, fantastically comfy, fold flat for portability and look good into the bargain.

7. deuk1219 macrumors member

Bose Quiet Comfort 15.
    They have the best Noise Cancellation and comfort in the price range in my opinion!

8. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

The QC 15s are very unusual in that they have very decent sound quality, unlike most Bose products which are mediocre quality wrapped in a sexy brand image.

They don't sound quite as good as the P5s, and I didn't want yet another thing to charge, but they'd be a good second choice.

9. ummagawd macrumors newbie

the V-moda Crossfade M80s have been getting rave reviews over at head-fi

10. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I'm looking into getting the Shure 940. From what I hear most people say it's great and really detailed...but some people have complained by saying its either somewhat lacking in the bass or causes a little ear fatigue.

Should be around the same point range as the Studio Beats. Not saying you need to get them but thought maybe it's worth a look :)

11. Endan macrumors newbie

AKG720.. definitely.

just try them out to convince yourself.

12. winterwooskie macrumors newbie

I'd also suggest the B&W P5s. The crispest sound I've had from a pair of headphones, and I've tried a fair few.
    Plus everything about them is luxurious, and the Bower & Wilkins customer service (say if the cable breaks or headphones play up) is fantastic.