So I'm transferring my music from windows...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabre364, Aug 19, 2008.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

And I got two issues that are driving me bonkers.

1. After I copied my files over there are a bunch of .ini and thumbs.db files that are visible. I did a search, command all, and dragged them to the trash. However there are a bunch (40ish of each) that I can't seem to delete no matter what I do. I don't even get any error messages. I get the prompt for my password, and even hear the click like stuff is being deleted but they just sit there in the finder and don't go anywhere!?
    EDIT: Appears these folders were locked. Went through one by one, removed locks, deleted files, worked out well. :bigthumb:

2. I am trying to use folder actions to make it so that anytime I add music to my music folder, it gets added to itunes. However I'm having no luck. I have enabled folder actions, but where do I find a script that works. I've been to a lot of websites with scripts and info, but none of it is very helpful. Even got a link to try and do this with automator, but i'd prefer it did this without any other programs running.

Also

3. Quick questions about itunes, how do I get it to show a genre link on my left hand shortcut bar? What about getting rid of the apple store links?

2. dimonay macrumors member

You're actually doing it backwards, if you drag music into iTunes, it'll be copied over to your iTunes library, the folder on your Mac which holds all the files for iTunes (depending on where your iTunes library is set in iTunes preferences; default is 'Music/iTunes Library').

As far as I know you can't get rid of the iTunes Store links, why would you want to anyways?

As for the Genre link, just create a Smart Playlist (File -> New Smart Playlist) and configure it to match the certain genre you want. Make sure limiting is off and live updating is on.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Ditching the store links, I would do it because I find them annoying.

It's easy and it's in the FIRST screen of your iTunes Preferences.

"Show links to the iTunes Store" uncheck the box.
    You can also hide the mini store... View > Hide MiniStore.

Smart Playlist is the way to go for your genre problem as was stated.

4. dimonay macrumors member

I totally didn't know you could do that. Sweeeet.