So I'm under a boil water order

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 2, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

a massive water main break here in Massachusetts has caused the water supply for a large number of communities to be contaminated and we need to boil water. Including the city of boston.

My local dunkin donuts wasn't selling coffee because of the water situation, and bottled water in super markets have all but disappeared. I keep a couple of those large poland spring water jugs in the cellar for emergencies so I'm ok, but what a pain.

I made my own coffee today, but there will be a lot of crumpy people tomorrow if no one is selling coffee in boston.

The reason the water is contaminated is because they're pulling water in from emergency backup areas that aren't meant for this since, this the main that burst is one of the major aqueducts for the city and neighboring communities.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've got this image of people crumping all over boston :D!

But that does suck. Things like this always illustrate how much we take necessities like water for granted and how fragile the supply actually is. It's like the major droughts here in australia. When the water supply gets down to 30% capacity for major cities it's really worrying. Good luck.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's nothing worse than the crumps. :)

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which describes how I wrote that atrocious sentence!

Incidentally if you don't boil your water and get giardia you'll also have the crumps...

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

What an excuse to kick the addiction! ;)

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Never,
    besides I'm not addicted to coffee, I can quit when ever I want, in fact I've quite a dozen times :D

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Happened here a decade ago. Water was infected with cryptosporidium. Only affected half of the city, one water treatment plant. I live in the other half, so didn't get the "crumps".

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

And this is a fact that has always stumped me ... (non-North American readers, pardon the US-centric observation) ... we crossed the wilderness drinking "raw" water, how did we lose the ability to fend off giardia in just a few generations? Have we evolved into a bunch of wussies?

mt

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In a word, yes.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

My Daughter goes to Tufts (graduates in 3 weeks!) over in Medford. She's under the same ban as you are. We bought her a couple of gallons of water today. Here in little Millis I have my own well in my backyard so I've got my own little water company here. If you head outside of the ban area, you should be able to find plenty of bottled water.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

More people died of dysentery and similar diseases then. Didn't you play The Oregon Trail?

And how do you know it isn't giardia that stepped up its game?

12. fotografica macrumors 68040

Amazing that such a failure can occur in a seven year old tunnel. Can't wait to hear the reason why.. Being that it was in the upper 80's this weekend as well,hasn't helped either. Hopefully they'll crack down on retailers price gouging the bottled water..A lot of businesses (restaurants,DD,sub shops etc) lost a lot of money this weekend..

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

You just made me laugh...

14. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really.

I headed to New Hampshire and the local costco had a run on bottled water. I was able to get some, but I could tell within an hour, the place would have been cleaned out.

I have enough now to last my family for a few days which is the expected duration.

Happy to oblige :D

15. Bwa macrumors 6502

We went to Stop-n-Shop as soon we as heard the news yesterday, around 4pm. The store was down to about 20% of its bottled water when we arrived and by the time we left they were nearly out. Most people were getting 3-4 cases.

Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow.

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hit the super market within 10 minutes of the news and it was too late.

As I mentioned, I headed up to New Hampshire and was able to score some water. Looks like this ordeal is nearing the end. They've patched the pipe and successfully ran a pressure test on it. So now its waiting game for until we get the go ahead.

I'm working from home, since I can make my own coffee with the spring water I purchased. Talking to my coworkers, they were unable to find any coffee being sold anywhere near the office building in Boston, so working remotely today was a good move - at least for this caffeine addicted soul :D

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Civilization...the cure for natural selection.

18. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Yesterday I had to get my coffee fix in Cambridge :p

The Shaws near me jacked the prices of water by 25-30 cents, I highly doubt Marcia Croakley will do anything. Several drug store chains in the area were also scrapping their 10 for $10 promo on their 20oz bottles and charging $1.75.

Water where I live(South Boston) is pale brown and smells like pond water... no way in hell I'm boiling that stuff and making the odor worse. At the moment I'll stick to my "emergency pack"(2 week supply of bottled water, lots 'o tea, hardtack, MREs and two bottles of vodka & scotch)

...yesterday I bought the last bottle of Cran-Raspberry and pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia at Shaws! :eek:
    (Gatorade & most juices were completely sold out, for ice cream all the good flavours were sold out too)

19. pooky macrumors 6502

In a word, no. People then died. All the time. Often because their organs were liquefied and leaking through their rectums. We have developed a lower tolerance for those sorts of things these days.

It was also wilderness, which means fewer people/dogs/cats living in concentrated areas. Giardia, cryptosporidium, and their friends don't just naturally appear in water. It takes fecal contamination. Wildlife can do it, but people are much better at it (and occur at higher densities).

20. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Mac sales will plummet, whats the point in buying something from Apple if you can't go to starbucks and fail to impress people?

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

WTF?:confused::confused:

22. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's being sarcastic, implying mac users cannot show off their macs at starbucks because of no coffee so there's no reason to buy a mac.