So Imac Refurb?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shadoe1989, Mar 5, 2009.

1. shadoe1989 macrumors newbie

I got the Refurb 24 inch 2.8 Imac and the guy on the phone said that it will come in a new Imac white box. I called back after that because any other time I ordered a refurb mac its come in a brown apple box. So has anyone els got an refurb apple product in a new box? Maybe they are just sending the rest of the stock out as refurbs.

2. adammelancon macrumors member

That's interesting... I ordered a refurb 2.8Ghz 24" yesterday, but I ordered it online. I wonder how mine will arrive tomorrow?

I'll let you know tomorrow evening how mine arrived.

3. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Someone else posted this same thing in another thread. They must be sending out new computers as refurbs...I mean, how many refurbs can there be?

4. adammelancon macrumors member

I wonder what I will receive then. My order has the product number from the refurb model.

RFB IMAC 24/2.8/2GB/320GB/SD-USA
    FB325LL/A

What model is in your order status page?

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I don't doubt that it's brand new. I have been watching the refurb store for a couple of weeks, and the day the refresh announcement was made, all of a sudden a 20"/2.66 pops up. Prior to the refresh, I would see them pop up for half a day or so, and then it would be sold by the afternoon. Now they are in there continuously, even though I ordered one, as well as a few folks on here. And there are a ton of 24"/2.8's. It is possible that these are all the floor models from the Apple stores, but it could also just be old stock and they want to move them.

6. shadoe1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shipped on: Mar 4, 2009 via FED EX GROUND
    Product / Part No.
    Qty

RFB IMAC 24/2.8/2GB/320GB/SD-USA
    FB325LL/A

7. gmanrique macrumors 6502

I am confused???

You ordered a refurb, and they said it will come in a New iMac White Box. Why are you, and apparently others, all of a sudden expecting new machines, as opposed to refurbished ones in New White Boxes, as expressed by the sales people from Apple?

8. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Because refurbs historically have come in plain brown boxes.

9. shadoe1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Im not expecting a new machine but I just find it weird that they told me its coming in a new imac box. In the past they have never done this.

10. adammelancon macrumors member

I've never heard of a refurb coming in anything other than a brown cardboard box.

I am in no way expecting a new iMac, I ordered a refub and that is exactly what I'm expecting.
    I'm just curious as to what will actually come in now that a few rumors are flying.
    I have NO problems getting my refurb.

Is there something wrong with someone getting excited if there is a possibility that a refurb that they ordered would come in as a new one?

11. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, can you let us know what happens with your refurbs? I'm really curious to see if you did indeed receive new iMacs!:D

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Mine will be here in 3 hours. I will post as soon as I get it open!

13. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'll be looking for it! Might help me pull the trigger on ordering the refurb...I have no problem whatsoever with buying one, but I know that if Quad-Cores come out later this year, I'll want to sell it and a new one will have more value.

14. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I'm about to pull the trigger so let me know asap, if it's indeed new then I will order for sure!! I figure it has to be new they can not have so many refurbs around. I wish they would discount the 3.06 but I just don't think I can wait any longer!! maybe 3 hours til you post lol! Altho I am rapidly weakening! :)

15. Drumerdude macrumors member

Well at least you got a new box, instead of a brown box. You could bring it around to more places.

16. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

I have to say though that I'm also tempted by ordering the clearance version, as a few posts have mentioned it being upgraded by Apple to the 2009 version. Does anyone know anymore about that?

17. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I've only read 1 person that that happened to and they were buying the clearance 2.8 machine as opposed to the refurb. $1399 versus $1199, I think they had edu discount but still $100 more plus more tax to take that chance, and to probably get exact machine as the refurb if it wasn't updated. People are complaining about fan noise in the new 2.93 so I don't think thats why to go for me. I wish they would reduce the previous 3.06 . Probably going to wait until they exhausted supply of old 2.8 first. Do I wait or do I pull :rolleyes:

18. thebeans macrumors regular

What people are saying is that Apple has moved all their stock of iMacs that are pre-last Tuesday's update to the refurbished store. They are selling them as refurbished even though they are actually brand new and have never been sold to anyone before.

19. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Refurb 20"/2.66 in 'da house...

and I can not tell if it's been used or not. It DID come in the plain brown box marked "Certified Reconditioned Product". As I never purchased reconditioned before, I don't know how they typically come packaged. All of the transparent masking film was still on it; on the display screen, the bottom of the foot, even on the Apple logo on the back. There is not a smudge or fingerprint on it, but I'm sure they are able to clean them as good as "factory fresh". The keyboard and mouse cords are still kinked from being folded up, and everything has all the plastic sleeves and wrappers on them. There is no dust ANYwhere, and not a single wear spot on the glides on the bottom of the keyboard or mouse. It smells new. :) All-in-all, I do believe it's unused.

It also came with an iLife '09 disk, which is an added bonus. I was expecting just iLife '08 pre-installed, not a free upgrade to '09.

Right now I'm downloading all of the Apple updates, including Leopard 10.5.6

I just looked at the keyboard again - the little glides on the bottom have already gotten slight discoloration on them just by sitting on my desk and moving the keyboard around. And the white plastic on the underside of the keyboard is already picking up dust. I really do believe that it's unused, but unless anyone knows of a way to prove that I'm just going by my observations.

Heck of a deal! I may not ever buy another new Apple computer again!

20. the_fellowship macrumors regular

Hope your refurb doesn't have the same fault mine had i.e. lowering the display brightness causing the screen to make a buzzing noise! I was disappointed but instead have ordered the refurb 24" 2.8 GHz lol :)

21. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I actually saw your post on that and that was the first thing I did! I took the display brightness all they way down, and then back up again. No buzzing!

22. the_fellowship macrumors regular

That's good news :)

I hope my new refurb doesn't have that issue!

Update: Status has just changed to shipped! Apple (UK) don't deliver on a Saturday do they? lol *wishful thinking*

23. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update Mike! It does sound new; weird that it came in the refurb box. The only thing I've bought refurbished from Apple was a Nano two years ago, and it did come in a box like that. It's still a hell of a deal even if it's not new!

Honestly, I think the only thing holding me back from getting it is the idea of 2009 refurbs in a few months. But then again, if I buy it now, as opposed to 3 months from now...I won't feel as guilty when I want to upgrade to the future quad-core (if it ever exists). :eek:

24. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

I am right there with you...if the previous 3.06 refurb had been reduced to say $1600, I would have been all over it. But then if I wait for that to happen, it may never happen, and the 2.8's will all be gone!

I say we just go for it... :)

25. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I'm not sure if I would want an '09 refurb over this, as the '09 20" seems to be a slightly lesser machine compared to this one with the 2600PRO graphics. I honestly believe that the only '09 refurb that would interest me over an '08 would be the 24"/3.06 with the high end graphics. The other '09's just don't seem to be that much better than their '08 counterparts for the additional cost. You'll never get a better deal than a 24"/2.8 for $1199 in my opinion. The only reason I went with this 20" instead of another 24" was real estate in my work room.

After getting the 20" and setting it up, believe it or not it actually seems more comfortable to look at. I can take the whole display in with my field of view, where I have to either slightly turn my head or move my eyes a lot with the 24". To me, the 20" is easier to look at. Having said that however, I NEED the 24" as I do a lot of photo/video, and need both the better monitor and the higher resolution.