Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
So my dad purchased about $10,000 of renovating our household computers. We got rid of a 12 year old Pentium 3 desktop which was used by my brothers, a 6 year old iMac G5 which was the main family computer, my mother's TiBook G4 which she still uses for her law practice, and my HP notebook.

We ordered refurbished. The MacBook Pro he ordered me said "shipping in 1-3 days". We ordered it on Friday. When will I get it?!?!?!

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
So my dad purchased about $10,000 of renovating our household computers. We got rid of a 12 year old Pentium 3 desktop which was used by my brothers, a 6 year old iMac G5 which was the main family computer, my mother's TiBook G4 which she still uses for her law practice, and my HP notebook.

We ordered refurbished. The MacBook Pro he ordered me said "shipping in 1-3 days". We ordered it on Friday. When will I get it?!?!?!

Words of advice: track the package! That's what I always do... I'm not a very good guesser. :)

And yowserss... I have no problem spending that much in computers... but that much at once? Ouch.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
"Shipping in 1-3 days" means it will be SENT 1-3 days after your order. You will receive it in less than a week after it's sent, so at most it should take less than 10 days for it to get there.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
don't forget Father's Day ... Pops sounds like a nice guy.

Apple means it will ship out in 1-3 days ... probably get it by Friday

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
your order should have a tracking number. we cant tell you when you will get it cause it depends on where you live , countryur in etc.

i ordered my macbook pro custom anti glare on thursday, got sent out from china on saturday, got it tuesday. :D

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yeah I love my father, he is a nice guy.

Not to mention he bought my mom two Thunderbolt displays... too bad the shipping on them is 6-8 weeks. :rolleyes:

Sounds like I should get it either tomorrow or friday.

I can't check where the package is because only my father can and when I asked him he just said,"Water seems to boil slower when you watch it."

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!

Not to mention he bought my mom two Thunderbolt displays... too bad the shipping on them is 6-8 weeks. :rolleyes:

I can't check where the package is because only my father can and when I asked him he just said,"Water seems to boil slower when you watch it."

Your old man sounds like a smart guy... you'd be wise to listen.

head honcho 123

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2008

enjoy ur new comp!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010

Holy balls!!! Why does she need 2 TB Displays?? That's a gigantic workstation!
Not to mention you won't be able to use it to its maximum potential unless you have the new 2011 Macs.
Nonetheless, congrats! You're gonna enjoy those new computers! :D

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
My dad bought her one display for her office, and one for her home office.

And guess what, the computers came in today, and they came with UPGRADED RAM! We ordered them with 4 GBs and ordered third party RAM, but these both came with 8 GBs, even though on the box they said 4! :apple:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Haha, my dad is an IT Manager for a large corporation and sets up large computer infrastructures.

I don't know how much he makes, he doesn't like to talk about that stuff.

He is very conservative with him money though, our three cars are a 1993 Safari minivan for me and my brother, he drives a 1994 Sierra pickup, and my mom drives a 2001 Acura TL.

Not to mention we replaced computers that had an average of 10 years that were still being in regularly used and still probably will be.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Haha, my dad is an IT Manager for a large corporation and sets up large computer infrastructures.

I don't know how much he makes, he doesn't like to talk about that stuff.

He is very conservative with him money though, our three cars are a 1993 Safari minivan for me and my brother, he drives a 1994 Sierra pickup, and my mom drives a 2001 Acura TL.

Not to mention we replaced computers that had an average of 10 years that were still being in regularly used and still probably will be.

That's a big job. I'm guessing 100k+. Another guess would be that he's saving for a college fund? But IDK, maybe I'm being too nosy ;)

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Nope. I am paying for my college. He is paying for my clothes/stuff I need while I am paying for housing/food/tuition.

Alright, enough about my life! haha. :D

salbiani

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Denver, CO

And guess what, the computers came in today, and they came with UPGRADED RAM! We ordered them with 4 GBs and ordered third party RAM, but these both came with 8 GBs, even though on the box they said 4! :apple:

Did the refurbs come with lion installed and the new launchpad f4 key?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Nope. Snow Leopard installed with Snow Leopard discs. The keyboard is pre-Lion.

By the way, if I don't want to install Lion, but don't want to pay for Lion a year or two from now, how do I ensure this?

salbiani

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Denver, CO
Nope. Snow Leopard installed with Snow Leopard discs. The keyboard is pre-Lion.

By the way, if I don't want to install Lion, but don't want to pay for Lion a year or two from now, how do I ensure this?

Apply for the free upgrade code and buy it from the app store, but just don't install it until you are ready.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Apply for the free upgrade code and buy it from the app store, but just don't install it until you are ready.
The Lion install may start automatically after the purchase/download.
Just cancel the installation and make a copy of the installer application (a 4GB USB memory stick is just right).
Once run, the installer application deletes itself.
Many people are waiting to install Lion, watching others weed out the garden and such. :D:apple::D

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Nope. I am paying for my college. He is paying for my clothes/stuff I need while I am paying for housing/food/tuition.

Alright, enough about my life! haha. :D

loooks like ur dad is going allout on the macs so they LASTTTTT. makes sense. if u buy a cheap computer you'll have to replace it sooner, so i can see where ur dad is going with this.

im heading to college too man! taking business for 4 years XD. u doing computer stuff like ur dad is?

just got my 15inch macbook pro anti glare in yesterday, i think im ready for university now :cool:

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama

WOW! So if I'm reading this thread correctly, you ordered some refurbed macs and got them the NEXT day???!

Did you pay for next day shipping? or standard?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I did not get them the next day. We ordered them last Friday and got them yesterday. We didn't buy any increased shipping.

And no, I am actually studying Industrial Design for 4 years. My dad and I actually have some cool ideas for potential products though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.