So in 2014 we will have only 1 macbook air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Serban, Oct 12, 2013.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Hmm, interesting. Like the resolution they have listed so I'm all for it. Kind of makes sense to do it as it simplifies the line and the resolution uptick should more than make up for the slightly smaller size for those used to the 13.

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, it makes sense.

But I find it really disappointing.

Apple took so long to redesign the MacBook Air. Nearly all manufacturers will have released their own ultra high resolution ultrabooks. And they all will have higher resolutions than the new Air. Samsung has already released a new 13" ultrabook with a 3200x1800 resolution, which simply trounces 2304x1440, and it's available now.

Apple is late to this game with the Air. Too little, too late. I hope at least the prices are low enough to compensate the disappointing resolution.

3. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

How are they late? Their design is still iconic, the MBA is still top rated, and it sells better. How is that bad?

----------

That list may be wrong still. Apple needs an entry model of $999.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, they are late. I have to disagree with you. Although the Air still sells well, it is probably a result of the brand factor and lowering prices and not of the hardware quality. The current design dates back from 2010, and, being 3 years old now, it is not on par with the latest offerings of other manufacturers, which keep updating their designs year after year, making them thinner, lighter and improving the screen and other factors, while all Apple does is update the internals.

Look at the new offerings. Look at the new Samsung Ativ Book 9, which is thinner and lighter than the Air, and offers an IPS touch display with a 3200x1800 resolution. How is that any worse than the Air?

Look at the Dell XPS 11, the Asus Zenbook Infinity, the Acer Aspire S7, the Sony Vaio Pro. They all look superior to the Air now. The Air is not top-rated anymore. It's a fine laptop, and it compares well to low-end ultrabooks. But it is not at the top of the foodchain anymore.

Apple might have the edge against the 2011 original line of ultrabooks. None of them could beat the Air then. But Apple didn't upgrade the Air ever since (only the internals, the processor, the RAM, etc.). Same weight, same thinness, same screen. But the designs of ultrabooks got better in 2012, and they are becoming top-notch with the release of Haswell in 2013. In 2014, they'll probably be mind-blogging.

And we're still waiting to see what Apple has on its sleeves for the Air.

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Oh, that sounds like the same display used in the ChromeBook Pixel

I had a chance to try one of those in store recently, and my god it's beautiful. Its formfactor reminds me of the old 12" Powerbooks, I really hope the new Air will capture some of that magic.

6. Serban thread starter Suspended

lets be fair...for a 12" a resolution of 1440p is more than enough! you dont need more since the samsung has 1800p but hd4400 only

----------

but apple should erase the message from http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/ no more the highest resolution anymore...but its very intresting and sad in the same time that how fast the samsung copy...in 1 year again they go beyond normal with the innovations from apple

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

You just named a bunch of computers that are just plain awful.

They are buggy, expensive for what you get build quality wise, running a inferior operating system, and have the company support behind them that is the equivalent of well meaning, yet slightly brain damaged, chimps.

8. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I just don't know. In principle, it looks like that 2304x1440 is already more than enough for a 12" screen. But you never know.

I'll have to see both screens side-by-side before I can conclude there's really no difference between them, or if the difference is negligible. For now, the Samsung laptop drives almost double the number of pixels, and that sounds like a huge difference. If the screen is so sharp that it makes no difference, that's yet to be seen.

The HD4400 in the Samsung may be good enough for driving a 3200x1800 resolution, if you don't need to play games or anything. The HD4000 already drives the 2560x1600 resolution in the 13" MacBook Pro, so perhaps it's just fine.

One should also remember that the 2304x1440 MacBook Air will compete with next year's Samsung Ativ Book, not the current one. And yes, it will have a better integrated video card.

As for screen resolutions, I guess Samsung is not copying. As I see it, these screens were coming anyway, with the push to Quad Full HD in the TV market. The computer market just benefitted from the evolution in pixel density caused by the TV market. As Apple has a more tight supply chain, it took advantage of a head start. In this case, I guess nobody really copied Apple. It was just the natural evolution of the screens, which were making their way into the PC anyway.

9. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Sounds like Apple fanboy talk.

Most of these laptops are not even available for sale yet. How can you conclude that they are crap if you have not tested all of them? You're biased. Apple doesn't have the monopoly of quality. Any manufacturer can build quality products. And, quite frankly, the quality in ultrabooks is clearly improving over the years.

As for an inferior operating system, that's a matter of opinion. If you think Apple delivers a better operating system and wants to stick with OS X no matter what, then it's your choice. But it's hardly the choice of million consumers which buy millions of Windows devices every year, for the most different reasons - compatibility, familiarity, diversity and, more likely, price. Windows 8 runs the top-notch version of Microsoft Office, which, want it or not, is the most compatible and most used office suite in the world. People who run OS X have to bear the cost of using a lesser version of Office (the 2011 version) or another office suite which is not on par (iWork, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, or another one; you may think that Office has bloat or something, but the straight fact is that to get full enterprise compatibility, which many will need, one has to use Microsoft Office). In addition, Windows can do everything OS X can, so there's hardly a point in arguing that it is an inferior operating system.

As for the build quality, I've seen some older models of the Samsung Ativ Book 9. They looked to have a great build quality, which is by no means inferior to Apple's standards. The Asus Zenbook also sports a very good build quality. The new models will likely improve on that.

Finally, it should be noted that the new Intel Bay Trail platform allows for 10-inch tablets with 2560x1600 resolutions running full versions of Windows 8.1. Yes, they are definitely slower and less powerful than any MacBook Air, and will probably have a worse build quality. But they will cost in the range of US$ 500 and will merge laptops and tablets in a very convenient way. It would be hard for Apple to beat that. But let's see what Apple will bring in 2014.

10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'm hoping this report is wrong. A 12" MacBook Air with a native resolution of 1152x720 is not good.

Yes, one could up the resolution if necessary but it wouldn't be native and wouldn't look quite as good.

If this is true Apple would be replacing the current 13" MBA with a marginally smaller chassis but with much lower native display resolution than the current 11" MBA. Even if it has the same size chassis as the current 11" MBA the native resolution is still too low. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Why not just double the resolution of the current 11" MBA and extend it to 12"? IGZO should make that possible.

11. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Nicely Point.

12. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Typically, when someone throws around the 'apple fanboy' line, I just assume they are compensating for some deficiency and I move on, but I'll bite.

Your argument is basically that these machines aren't as great as apple products, but hey, you have to live with that.

That's basically like saying food is food. Sure, you can eat steak and chicken, but you can also opt for eating at McDonalds. You won't be hungry after either meal but that doesn't mean you won't suffer for the choice.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Depending on pricing it could be a good move.

14. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

1) Apple's always late. They wait to learn from their competitors, and consumer behavior respectively. But this works for them.

2) Even if this rumor is true, Apple is not going to drop the 11" and 13" models. Maybe it won't get updated, or will simply get an internal makeover like this year's Air with Haswell.

Most likely, it will be like the Pro line with cMBP and rMBP. We're likely going to have cMBA and rMBA in 2014

15. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

So it looks like apple will have some new toys for 2014, even if they only go with a one 12 MBA they will sell a ton of them! But I will like to see the 65" Apple Tv, but Im sure the price will be triple of any other 65" on the market.

16. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Good post.. I will read again :rolleyes:

17. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Good. It will make you a better person. May cure disease as well.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Is that all you got from that?

Really?

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

More words doesn't make it more true.

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

He was saying a lot of things, and you decide to try to take everything out of context just so you can simplify it down and get a 'win'.

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I win from being right. It's not a complicated thing.

22. Kobayagi, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Would be great if they could increase the screen size by making the bezel smaller. This way, you would have the same form factor but with a bigger screen. OR don't increase the screen size, just make the bezel smaller. Like they'll do with the 5th iPad.

Oh and add dedicated graphics if possible, and I'm sold ^^:D

23. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Apple could be putting the 12" screen in the 11" chassis with a smaller bezel.

Reducing costs of the 13" Retina MBP could bring it very close to the Air, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the 13" MBA disappear.

24. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

What you're saying is that it isn't up to par. That's not te same as late to the game. If that was the case then they won't be selling or they are losing. Clearly they are not