So, iOS 10 on 2015-2016 iPads?...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    has anyone been trying it out on any of the newer iPads (Mini 4, 9.7 Pro, and 12.9" Pro)?
    I want to install it on at least one of these devices but am hesitant. Anyone having a good experience (including installing iOS 10 over the air?)

K.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Absolutely no issues at all on my 12.9" Pro or Mini 4, my wife's Mini 4 or my daughter's Air 2: All done over the air and all went 100% smoothly.

Loving iOS 10 - it definitely seems quicker and has been incredibly stable

3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i upgraded my 12.9 on the weekend, via itunes connection. the damn thing failed. had to factory reset then restore from backup. thankfully all working where it should now. wish i'd done my usual OTA method instead.

i shake with fear every time an ios upgrade appears, because something nearly always foops up!

on a side note, ios10 is lovely :)

4. Wando64 macrumors 6502

No issues on my 9.7" pro. It runs better than it ever did with IOS9.

5. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

iOS 10 is a vast performance improvement in animations (which, to me, is a big difference).

OTA issues are restricted to eager beavers such as myself, you'll have no problems.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

No issues on my Mini 4 with an over the air update. The newer devices are the ones that you should have the least to worry about with.

7. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

8. Apple a Day macrumors newbie

Apple a Day

I was holding off on the upgrade for my iPad mini 4 but finally gave in last night. I'm pleased with it. My mini 4 is faster now than with iOS 9, which was the reason I was waiting, for fear of a slowdown. I recommend the upgrade.

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Hefty lag and stutter when swiping to widgets for the first time in a while on my 9.7" Pro. There's like a 1 section freeze and then a 20 fps animation. Other than that, it works fine.

10. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

anyone have any battery life increase? My iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7" aren't the worst, but they do drop pretty quickly just by watching some videos, writing in Notes, and doing a little safari web surfing.

Kallum.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

More or less the same, but before I plugged mine in last night I had 13.5 hours of usage and 88 hours of standby so I can't ask much more than that.

Brightness is the biggest factor in my opinion. I usually use mine between 30% and 50% unless I'm outside because the screen is so bright. 50% on the Pro is like 70% on my old iPad 3 I believe.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    Does anyone else have noticeable lag when swiping to widgets?

12. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Thanks, and which iPad of yours is lagging? (if you don't mind my asking.)

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

iPad Pro 9.7.

The first time I swipe from the lock screen or first home screen into my widgets (worse in landscape, but present in portrait) I usually get a bad momentary freeze and then really choppy animation. Scrolling through the widgets is mostly fine.

14. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Thanks, I might skip updating it to iOS 10 then, shouldn't the newset iPad have the least amount of issues with iOS10? lol

K.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I say go for it. People here treat OS updates like they contain virus or something. They are meant to improve your device, even if there are a few kinks sometimes. I always update my devices as soon as possible, and have so far never regretted it.

16. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I agree, I usually upgrade to the new iOS, but I've learned in my many years of being impatient and foolhardy (talking about me only, lol.) I've found that the saying: if something ain't broke, don't fix it," is absolutely true. I may upgrade my mini 4 or 12.9" iPP, but some more research and gathering of viewpoints is (I think) the best thing.

K.

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The amount of stutter is too extreme for the A9X and confined to certain things so I'm confident it's just a bug. There are many areas where you can tell iOS 10 isn't optimized for iPad (like the weird translucent bar at the top when you scroll down in widgets view). I think they just had to get iOS 10 ready to ship by mid September so optimization updates will come later after they have more time.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

My Pencil doesn't work anymore after the update on my 9.7" Pro, but apart from that.... (won't stay paired, battery widget is totally erratic when reporting its status (shows 1% after charging for more than an hour when connected to an Apple Lightning cable with the adapter, and then once I "forget" it and connect it directly to the iPad, it might show like 27%, but the battery widget keeps appearing and disappearing with the Bluetooth icon in the status bar flickering continuously). It worked flawlessly prior to the update.

19. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I have 6 widgets on the notification shade / left swipe and no stutter whatsoever on iOS 10 on an iPad Pro 9.7"

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My 12.9 iPP seems fine. Battery life and performance appear to be the same (excellent and smooth). The new notifcation center is pretty sweet on the larger screen.

21. bensisko macrumors 65816

I had some major issues installing on both of my Pros when it was first released, but all was smooth and well for the second attempt. There were no issues updating the Mini 4.

22. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It temporarily bricked 3 of the 4 iPads I was updating in parallel. Was pretty annoyed at Apple for a while, but if you updated 2 hours after launch I think all the OTA issues were resolved.

Interestingly it was also my mini 4 that wasn't bricked.

23. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I updated an iPad Air, Air 2 & iPhone 6s Plus, all with no issues & running smoothly.

24. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Does anyone have this happen in landscape?

Rocking an iPad Air 2.

Attached Files:

25. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Yeah that's a real bug. I'm guessing it might be caused by rotation. If you dismiss it and rotate again, it might fix it.