So iOS 5 and iCloud will sync game/app data but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

Will it keep synced app data on the server if you delete say a purchase app from the phone, and redownload it later?

For example, I download a large game, play through it and delete it for the space. Today I would lose my save progress even if the app were still saved on my Mac, because the save progress remains in the backup file and on the phone only if its installed. If I redownload I start completely over

With iCloud will this change? Will I redownload this app and be able to have my progress, or will it still act the same way just without the cable? I know a lot of games are doing their own cloud save progress options now, but this would make it flawless.

I think its possible because if you just login and poof theirs your stuff, and you delete the game only off one iOS device, the other devices should in theory have your game and progress still. Unless the deletion of the app pushes to the other devices as well.

Anyone have any clue? Can dev's provide some light here?

2. unobtainium macrumors 68000

This is a good question. What happens if you delete a game off your device but reinstall it later? Will your old save data be synced back?

3. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Simple test:

1. Download small game
    2. Complete one level
    3. Do iCloud backup
    4. Delete app and redownload
    5. See if on level 2

Unfortunately stuck at work at the moment so can test myself

4. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I made this in June lol. In any case the answer is no, it deleted the games backup when I delete the game. However some games are adding "Documents & Data" backup options for iCloud. So like as an example, Doodle Jump saves to that part of the iCloud and even if I delete it, its still there unless I delete the data on iCloud.

So really its just a matter of Dev's adding the function now.