So iOS6 has rendered my 4th gen iPod touch useless...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rocks., Sep 21, 2012.

1. Rocks., Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Rocks. macrumors member

In terms of battery life, anyway.

So last night, I had the Do Not Disturb feature on and an alarm clock. The iPod was fully charged at midnight when I went to bed. I woke up at 8am. The iPod was already low battery... with only 8 hours on standby. I didn't use the iPod for anything today at all, so it was on standby all day. I picked it up again at 3pm, updated an app, opened up Maps and then the battery died.

If it can only last 15 hours on standby, imagine how long it'll last if I'm playing games on it, or actually using it for something...

2. urban.spaceman macrumors member

i left mine with the exact same circumstances and I haven't had a single problem.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is it jailbroken? Do you have any running apps in the multitasking tray?

4. Rocks., Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Rocks. thread starter macrumors member

No, it's not jailbroken.

I've been making it a habit to delete apps from the multitasking tray when my iPod starts getting laggy. I only had about 7 apps running when the battery died.

I guess the thing about it being useless was exaggerated. It still works (sometimes it gets laggy), it's just the battery life has been reduced dramatically. I haven't experimented playing games yet, but I doubt it will last even an hour playing continuously.

And btw, I've had this iPod for 2 years (got it the day it came out!)

5. Xeblade macrumors regular

Weird, my battery lasts for a day and a half, it's a year old. I also used to have it jailbroken till I updated to iOS6.

6. bigloudbang macrumors member

Must be your device. Mine is 2 years old, was jailbroken and now updated on iOS 6 and still runs OK.

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

Try factory restore your iPod touch. Sometime it will solve a power issue like this.

8. Moocher macrumors regular

I did this - reset to factory settings. What a pain! My battery still goes down faster, even with only three apps "on." It may depend on whether we have something like notifications on - maybe one feature uses more battery on 6 than it did on 5?

I also can't use the App Store app. It crashes every time, no matter whether or not anything else is running. Even restarting doesn't help. I'd like to go back to 5 but don't know how.

Moocher

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You can't. Apple blocks iOS downgrades.

-- Nathan

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yeah the App Store crashed on my iPod touch 4 to :(