So iPhone 3G has wallpapers on iOS 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c98928, Jun 20, 2010.

1. c98928 macrumors member

Have been hearing that 3G won't have many features of iOS 4.0 including wallpapers.

But just saw an Apple 'official' picture in other thread in which 3G also appears to have wallpaper enabled...now I am confused.

Any idea, anyone?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Attached Files:

• iOS4.jpg
      iOS4.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
  4. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Nice catch. This actually seems to be a mistake on Apple's part, as the 3G does not support wallpapers on iOS4 (At least not in the GM, which should be the same as what we will see tomorrow, just about)

5. Cardiiiii macrumors member

Maybe it's a standard wallpaper that cannot be changed? Like we get that one instead of the black one?

6. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Not in the GM.

7. Cardiiiii macrumors member

I have the GM and mine's black at the moment. What I meant was, we might get that as the 'standard' wall paper instead of the black background in the public release but will not be able to change it, which would go with the 3G not being able to 'change' home screen wall papers. Only a thought.

8. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

We'll see tomorrow, I hope it is. I'm betting not though.

9. Cardiiiii macrumors member

Although I don't quite understand what the fuss is. Surely changing a wallpaper won't require a huge amount of 'resources'. I'm sure Steve Jobs is just being a knob. Like he was when something as simple as the battery % indicator was avoided in the 3G.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That shows the same screen image on all the iPhone models. Looks like they just copied the one from the 3GS and pasted onto the other models.

11. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

Yeah to be honest I started using the GM and sat there like a knob for about 5 minutes trying to work out why I couldn't use pictures as wallpapers and done the same thing the OP did looked on the website and it was showing that picture.

I just assume that same as the % indicator which for reference uses naff all is just another way to make people think there 3G is defunct and its time to upgrade.

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

13. robj macrumors regular

I wonder there is no Wallpaper in 3G.

Does it need so many resources to put a static image in the background ?

14. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Will the 3G be able to cope with the new operating system ok? It's processor seems to struggle at times as it is.

15. Orbane macrumors member

It actually copes okay. In some cases I think it runs faster than it did on 3.1.3. Still get lag when Safari/Mail/iPod are all running at once, but by no means unusable.

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's not simply placing an image in the background. When a background image is added (not via jailbreak, but legitly using iOS 4) it also adds in shadows behind every piece of text on the home screen as well as shadows behind every app icon. Every time you click the home button, the memory has to try and cache all this extra data for the shadows for every single app icon on the Springboard. It's a pretty pathetic and weird reason as to why they disabled this feature for the iPhone 3G and 2G iPod touch, but it's simply a memory hog on these devices with it enabled (I have these disabled features enabled on a jailbroken 2G touch with the 4.0 GM, so I speak from experience - the lag to get back to the home screen and to launch things with home screen backgrounds enabled is simply terrible*).

*Saying that though, the rest of the OS runs wonderfully on my iPod, easily comparable to my 3GS.

17. robj macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation, now its more clear :)

But maybe they could have chosen a different and lighter method to put a simple image behind the icons.