So iPhone 6 is obviously going to bring about app resolution incompatibility,correct?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jan 15, 2014.

1. saintforlife, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Talking about the iPhone 6 here (I wish they let people edit the subject - Mods: Can you please add 6 next to the iPhone in the subject?).

When Apple went from 480X320 to 960X640 to 1136X640, they were very careful about maintaining resolution scaling in terms of multiples.

But if they go with a larger 4.7" or 5.5" screen, what resolution can they go to without making life difficult for developers? Obviously twice the resolution of 1136X640 will probably be overkill. But if they maintain the same resolution as the iPhone 4, the ppi will probably go below their retina threshold of 300 ppi. That only leaves going with some odd resolution that developers of iOS apps never developed for before.

So what do you think will be the resolution of a 4.7" or 5.5" iPhone 6?

2. Prise macrumors regular

Gonna be fun. Time to speculate on a new iPhone.

3. knightlie macrumors 6502a

They already added a new resolution for a larger screen, I'm sure they'll just do it again. Doesn't the new auto-layout stuff take care of this anyway? Apps really shouldn't be relying on a fixed screen size. Well, Windows 8 Metro notwithstanding...

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Mod Note: To edit the thread title, click the Edit button on the original post, click Go Advanced and then edit the Title field to your delight.

Attached Files:

5. hollersoft macrumors member

Auto layout *should* take care of most of it, but developers don't update to the latest and greatest unless you put a gun to their head. Many are still not using it because they're just used to springs and struts, or they feel the need to continue supporting iOS 5.

I suspect Apple would do the same as they did when introducing the 4" screen - apps would be letterboxed (black bars on the sides/top/bottom) unless they are resubmitted with a flag set that specifically states they support the new resolution(s).

But it's all wild speculation at this point of course.

6. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

As a developer, and knowing alot of developers within corporate enviroments I can tell you it's the exact opposite.
    When iPhone 5 was released, alot of developers couldn't wait to jump the boat, myself included. Because the latest and greatest is what sells best.

I vote, no bigger screens at all.

7. hollersoft macrumors member

My comments were based mainly on the questions I see on the developer forums. Hopefully you're right and those are the vocal minority. Personally I love auto layout and suggest it to people whenever possible... some are reluctant though.

I also agree that keeping the 320 point width would be fine even if they make the physical screen wider.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Does any one else want the ppi higher?http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1687250&highlight=apple+ppi

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Does it really matter?

Apps that haven't been modified to support the new resolution will simply be scaled. They'll still look pretty good. Fonts and built in OS elements will still render perfectly because they are resolution independent.

This will be equivalent to running unmodified iPad 2 apps on an iPad 3 or higher. Yeah, they'll be a tiny bit blurry, but look more than acceptably good. The screen size jump isn't that big.

10. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I think they will keep the same PPI, just add additional pixels at the bottom, side as the screen demands, similarly to the iPhone 4S - 5 transition, but this time it will grow in both dimensions (it is already 16:9, I don't think they making it any narrower than that)-

this way it will mantain full compatibility with older apps, while just but black bars to display apps that haven't been updated.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Keep the same aspect ratio, go to 1920x1080 and just blow up the old apps.

Nothing like your app looking awful to motivate you to update for the new resolution. Auto-layout would take care of much of it but there'd be work to do, there always is - it's the price of progress.

12. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

I think they will twice the resolution to 2272x1280.

On Android 2560x1440 will come this year on many flagships, so it's not hard to believe that apple could twice the iphone 5/5s resolution for a bigger iphone 6.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I imagine the documentation for layout constraints has gotten better since I last worked with it (end of last summer), but it was kind of a pain in the butt when you started doing complicated stuff.

Then again, any layout system can be a pain in the butt when you start doing intricate stuff.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

15. hummus macrumors member

Does it not seem possible that they would just go with the iPad resolution? When I look at the retina mini I just think of it being scaled down to 5" or whatever for the iPhone 6.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

1440x960 would be my guess. Thats 3x the resolution of the original iPhone/3G/3GS and puts the resolution around 368ppi for a 4.7" display and 314ppi for a 5.5". Considering the current iPhone 5s is 326ppi, it would make sense.

They could also go for 1920x1280, 2x the resolution of the 4/4S and would put the PPI at 490 for the 4.7" and 419 for the 5.5" displays.

17. zipa macrumors 65816

I have a hard time believing that they'd change the aspect ratio back to 3:2 from 16:9. I sure hope that someone at Apple gets a clue and sees why a standard resolution would be good and pushes 1920 x 1080.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

having to wait for apps to update for the iPhone 5 was the most annoying thing ever, hopefully if they do change the screen size they will give developers enough time to update their apps prior to the launch.