So iPod touch 5 has landed - a few questions to early adopters

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GoodBoy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. GoodBoy, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

GoodBoy macrumors 6502

I'd like to ask a few questions to early adopters of the newest touch about the use and quality of this device.

1) Is the home button sturdy? There are reports (iFixit) that the home button in the new iPod touch is inferior and a lot more prone to demages than the one found in iPhone 5

2) LCD panel is no screwed to the main body like the iPhone, but instead it's glued and clipped to it as iFixit discovered. Doesn't it make any cracking sounds or doesn't it move when pressed hard?

3) Speaker quality and it's loudness - is it on par with the iPhone 4S/5?

4) How do you rate the overall build quality of the iPod touch 5 and how do you compare it to iPhones?

That's it from me. If any of you have more questions do not hasitate to add them to the list :)

2. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

The LCD panel on the iPod touch has never been screwed to the body, and has always used some sort of adhesive just like the iPad

3. aquaboi924 macrumors member

1) seems sturdy enough. a bit harder and a shallower click than my ip4

2) i thought it did actually but i checked again it was only in my head

3) you mean on par? yep, but seems a bit more "airy" than my ip4

4) very good but my ip4 is much better build

Hope that helps.

4. GoodBoy, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

2) That was the case with iPod touch 3rd gen, that's why I asked :) On my 3rd gen when pressed hard enough on screen panel edges, the whole panel moved down a little bit.

3) thanks, seems like they used the same speaker like the one in iPhone 5

4) thought so... actually I owned 4S, sold it recently due to some problems and now I'm deciding whether to buy 4S again or the new touch. iPhone 5 is just too expensive for me, and I only buy unlocked phones.

5. johnzsosmooth macrumors newbie

the speaker is not as good as the 4 or 4s. there is a difference and you can deff hear it. But, i dont listen to my ipod on the phone really. i use either head phones, car stereo, or my jambox.

6. GoodBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

iFixit said:

"When comparing the Touch to the iPhone 5 display assembly, it's apparent that this is a much simpler, cheaper design, despite the two having very similar functionality."

The key word is ASSEMBLY, and the ASSEMBLY is different. Which is completely understandable. IPT5 is much thinner than iPhone5

AI should not go around spread rumors like this. :mad:

8. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Agreed - in fact I said the exact same thing yesterday.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16016750&postcount=7

I've read a few reviews of the new touch and all of them praise the screen.

Considering they have all already reviewed the iPhone 5 and have had time to familiarise themselves with the screen, a switch to an inferior display would have been noticeable, yet none of them mention that which leads me to believe it it the exact same display that's in the iPhone 5.

9. MicroByte macrumors 6502

1) Home button feels fine to me. I guess since it's new, any issues won't occur until time passes. For now, it's solid doesn't rattle or wobble and responds exactly as it needs to.

2) I'm not going to apply any more pressure than I would normally just to appease your question, but short answer is no, there is not cracking or movement, it feels fine and doesn't feel like I need to worry about it suddenly all falling apart.

3) Speakers sound decent for what they are. I haven't heard a 4/4s really so cannot compare. They seem louder than the iPod Touch 4G though.

4) I've seen people say that the 4G had a better build quality, but I would disagree. I think the 5g has a more robust feel and I don't see any issues with scratching, dents, etc. I'm not sure what people are looking for or how they are comparing, but it just feels and looks great. It's very light which might give the impression of cheaper feel or have less quality, but it feels solid to me.

I compared my 5G to my friends iPhone 5 and I really cannot tell the difference between the 2 screens. Viewing angles seemed exactly the same. Colors were the same at the same brightness. If there is a difference, it negligible and very minor.

I'm assuming that when they say it's simpler, they are referring to how it's held in place. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the screen. If you are, then you are knit picky.