so...ipod touch and navigation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mchad, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mchad macrumors member

so, i noticed today for the first time that when i was using my ipod touch for directions (using maps app that comes pre-loaded) that there was a little blue dot that was indicating my current location (this i have seen before when connected to wifi at my home or office), but it was updating in real time as I drove. How is this possible? I was not connected to the internet at any time between my two destinations.

2. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

If there were wifi along the route, it'll automatically determine the location.

3. mchad thread starter macrumors member

so, i noticed today for the first time that when i was using my ipod touch for directions (using maps app that comes pre-loaded) that there was a little blue dot that was indicating my current location (this i have seen before when connected to wifi at my home or office), but it was updating in real time as I drove. How is this possible? I was not connected to the internet at any time between my two destinations.

4. nigameash macrumors 6502

As long as there are wifi's in the vicinity, the google maps will use the wifi locations to triangulate on your position

5. mchad thread starter macrumors member

so essentially it pings routers that it finds along the way?

6. darknite38 macrumors regular

Yeah - Nice perk from my ipod Touch fourth gen. I was driving around in a residential neighborhood and every once in awhile or so the ipod touch seemed to find my location. It probably quickly finds a router that isnt protected and finds the location. Don't expect for this to work on the freeway though.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

And for goodness sake, don't depend on it period.

8. patp Guest

:d