So is 10a432 final?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amirite, Aug 17, 2009.

  1. amirite macrumors 6502a

    Aug 17, 2009
    Post your reasons on why it is/isn't. I'm unsure whether to install it or not. I'm buying it the day it's released but I'd really like to install it as soon as possible.
  2. amorya macrumors 6502

    Jun 17, 2007
    Be aware that officially you can't upgrade any development build to the final release.
  3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a


    Mar 26, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Hold off man. I thought about installing SL last weekend because I was excited to try it. But there are three reasons why I am holding off, which may apply to you:

    1) Some people are having problems getting ALL of their hardware working with the 10a432 file found online. And since this is the computer I do all my professional work on, if I have problems which prevent me from hitting my upcoming deadlines due to hardware or software malfunctions, I would be absolutely screwed.

    2) If you want to install the $29 SL upgrade then you have to have Leopard installed first anyway. So if you install SL now, when the retail gets released, you will have to reinstall Leopard again before you can do a fresh install of SL. You're talking about reinstalling your OS 3 times just to have a pirated version of SL, that most likely won't work 100%, a couple weeks in advance.

    3) If I installed SL now I would have to spend the time installing Adobe CS4 Master Collection, Adobe Lightroom, Adium, iLife 09, iWork 09, Office 08, and various other programs. Then I would have to get all my music back into iTunes and then sync my iPhone with it. I would also have to re-sync my 2 gmail accounts to Apple mail and redo the signatures.

    ....Then when the official SL is released in a few weeks I will have to do all this again? No thanks., I'll wait it out.

    Besides SL isn't a whole new operating system. It's just an optimized version of Leopard. So chances are you will not see any significant changes that you would use regularly anyway.

    That's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
  4. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

    Feb 12, 2008
    By "officially," I assume that means that upgrade installations are not recommended...but they still work. I successfully upgraded 10A421 to 10A432 with no problems, despite the lack of "official support."

    Also, if Apple is already starting to print up packaging, et al, for 10.6, then 10A432 is RTM. The same thing happened with 10.5: no one believed that the last 'developer release,' build 9A581, was actually the real RTM. But it was. And it had some "rough edges," which is why 10.5.1 was released only 2 weeks afterwards. Something similar will happen with 10.6.

Share This Page