So is a bigger screen the ground breaking must for the next iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 26, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I have seen some say an A5 battery, better battery life and a better camera isn't reason to upgrade from current contract..so if it has all that and a bigger screen is that the deciding factor if there is no re-design?

Or is a re-design a must?

2. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

For me, bigger screen is the only thing I care about. I would not bother upgrading without it.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

For me it is. I'd be happy with an A5 and a 4"(or more) screen, and maybe some more ram thrown in for good measure.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

For me it isn't unless it also gets a resolution bump (which is unlikely.) I don't see much point if the screen real estate doesn't change. (But I rarely watch video on my phone.)

I'm more interested in a better camera, battery, A5, and a elongated home button with gestures. NFC would be neat, too, but I don't think it'll happen this time around.

5. OSMac macrumors 65816

Larger screen size and camera quality are key to my next device , be It an iPhone or other.

These things used to be phones first but.that's no longer the case.

6. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Apparently some users just need a telephone in their iPad.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's long overdue. Apples resisted for far too long.

There's a reason the 4.3" screen has become the size of choice in the sector. If not for Jobs ego I believe we'd already have it.

8. disarticulate macrumors regular

A bigger screen or LTE would make me extremely happy. Without one of those I'll still be satisfied.

9. oshia86 macrumors regular

There is nothing ground breaking about a bigger screen.

A redesign isn't a must. People get so flustered here about the design of the phone, it's just ridiculous. Although, I wouldn't mine a bigger screen with the same size body.

Most of all, give me something that works better than my crappy 3gs, and I'll be right as rain.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm not fussed about a bigger screen. If they do I don't want it to increase the size of the phone.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Wouldn't mind a bigger screen as long as it doesn't make the phone too tall to the point where it's uncomfortable to use one handed like some of the giant brick android phones

12. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

Larger screen is a must for me, no change in 4 years does seem too long, otherwise I'll start looking at the GS2

13. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Guess I'll be the naysayer, if the screen being larger requires the phone itself to be larger, then it's a no go for me.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I want a bigger screen, but as long as it has a faster processor, more ram and most importantly a notification LED - I'm sold.

15. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Each to their own. To me it is.

I believe that iPhone will be very similar to latest Android phones when it comes to speed, memory, storage etc.

Being a utilitarian and not having much religious adherence to Apple I am waiting to see what they will release... Anything under 4.2" will not be acceptable for me. I am not paying AU$1000 for 3.5/4" phone when I can get 4.3" for AU$600...

I like Apple, but 3.5" and pretty much same phone since 2007 is getting a bit old..

16. EddyP macrumors 6502

I agree. I don't care about a bigger screen if it makes the phone bigger. I have my iPad if I need more screen. I like the small form factor now. It just seems to fits well in my pocket.

Though I would probably get used to it if it was bigger. I have played with some droids with the monster screens and I'd rather my phone stay the same (or pretty close) size.

17. RenoG macrumors 65816

I can give a rats crack about a bigger screen size, for what!... Like the post above said thats what tablets are for if you need something bigger.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Definately.

Obviously I'm not expecting Apple to put in a 5" screen and make the thing too big to hold, but for me to buy the next iPhone, it should compare to some of the Android phones out there.

Samsung just announced a new LTE version of Galaxy S2 for Korea with a 4.something HD AMOLED screen. It's short a few PPI of being "Retina", but it'll look gorgeous nonetheless. It's only a matter of time before we get these sorts of screens over here, and I really think that Apple will need to be able to compete with that.

Having said that, and despite the angst floating about at the moment about the possability that only a 4S will be announced, I highly doubt Apple will rest on their laurels with the next generation of iPhone seeing as:

a) It's the first post-Steve announcement, they will want to put up a strong front so they dont't seem weakened.

b) It's been well over a year since a refresh, if they were going to just release the 4S, they could have probably done it ages ago.

c) The competition is really stepping up their game, even Apple must realise that consumers will only be loyal to a certain degree.

19. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Nice. See how Samsung already outdated US customers who just bought the S2 with low res that was 4 months late?

20. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Well it's just been announced, for Korea, so it's not really that big of a deal (yet). I mentioned it because it's probably indicative of the phones Apple will be competing against for the next 12 months.

21. oshia86 macrumors regular

I would take a larger screen. If they managed to squeeze a 4" into the current iPhone 4 chassis, I would be happy. I don't constitute that as a "redesign" though.