So is ANYONE liking invisible shield?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Mine and my dad's are coming tomorrow and all everyone on these forums are saying is that it sucks. Please someone give me hope and tell me if it is good. Also can someone post a pic of the back of a black iphone 3g with the invisible shield on. I want to see if it does change to color.
    Thanks!

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I don't have a picture of mine, but I'm happy with it. I have the full version (front and back).

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think you'll be satisfied. I put the IS on my blackberry almost two years ago and it still looks immaculate. If you're doing the black 3G, you have nothing to worry about. 1st gen or white 3G will be a different story. I put it on my 1st gen and the yellowing around the edges was too much for me so I ended up taking it off.

It also takes away from the feel of the touch screen. I didn't notice how much I missed it until I took it off. It really a win/lose situation. If you're more concerned about the aesthetics of the phone, I'd avoid it (unless you're using the black one). If protection is your goal, IS is second to none IMO.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm happy with mine. Put mine on about a week after I got my iPhone 3G, and before that I had one on my 1st Gen. Looks good and it's done an excellent job so far.

5. Sincereh2001 macrumors member

I put mine on last week and I'm happy with it.

6. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I had mine installed at an invisible shield kiosk in the mall. The guys were putting them on all day an did an excellent job.

I do like the protection that the shield provides. They did get a few pieces of lint under the shield on the back, and my phone is white so u can really see it. The guys said that new shields were coming in which were new for the 3g and they will replace mine for free. The old shields had little flaps which attach on the top back of the phone which the guys said that they were a pain to deal with on the 3g and had some trouble staying on the phone. I haven't had that problem at all.

The front of the phone looks fine with the shield on although i think that the screen is a little bit tacky in feel. I hope the new one is better. I think that I like the one that is sold in the Apple store better but I forget it's name.

8. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I absolutely hate the corner pieces on my 3G invisibleshield. They are not part of the main shield, so they start peeling off, and they get dirt and grime under them.

Also the seams all get dirt and grime on them, and so while the phone is wiped nice and clean, it's impossible to get all the dirt off the edges.

Also, my chrome bezel isn't covered by the IS, and is already really scratched up.

Overall though, I like knowing that I can peel this thing off at any time and have a brand new iphone (sans scratches on the bezel). I throw this in my pocket with keys and everything, no problems.

9. itsvdiddy macrumors member

They are the film sets from Power Support - the Anti-Glare and the Crystal Film Set. Anti-Glare is matte finish and the Crystal is more like the original iPhone screen (kinda like Matte vs. Glossy Macbook Pro screens).

I originally had the Invisible Shield/Zagg full-body but immediately took it off when someone showed me their iPhone with the Crystal Film Set on - you virtually could not tell that it was on.

I didn't like the Invisible Shield:
    1) The screen was distorted - added lines to the screen
    2) Tacky feel the screen (similar to the backing)
    3) The texture looks weird

IS/Zagg Back + Crystal Film Set Front is your best bet

10. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coo, its coming today so ill put it on tonight. My dad is pretty good with this stuff so we'll see. If the front is crap, i'm sure my dad will pick up some crystal film from the apple store if he wants lol

thanks guys!

11. trunksu macrumors 6502

i put it on and hated it. coworkers said i might as well just took saran wrap and use that. decided to just do what i did with 1st gen phone and leave it naked and i'm loving it.

12. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I put the Invisibleshield onto the front of my phone earlier this evening, and was going to do the back another time.

Had no problem putting it on, but it looked so poor I have taken it back off already.

I know it may have improved slightly over the next day or two, but it had a sort of line through it that was never going to vanish, as if the film was somehow stretched. Hard to explain, but it didn't look good at all, and was distorting the screen a little.

Back to the drawing board, what a waste of money. :(

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

i sent mine back for a refund

ordered a fullbodyfilm, its perfect

14. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just came in the mail, my dad and i are gonna put it on later this evening, i'll let you guys know if i like it or not :D

15. JCredible86 macrumors newbie

Where was this post when i ordered?

My will be here ont he 14th I hope your WRONG!!!!

16. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

was a pain to put on, but it looks pretty ok for now...should be better after 12 or so hours but looks pretty good. HAven't used to screen or phone yet since ur not supposed to for 12 hours so i'll tell you how good it is tomorrow guys!

17. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Ya don't make any assumptions yet, when i put mine on i was pissed at how it was gonna look but in the morning after it looked a lot better. by the next day it was pretty nice, some bubbles were there but you could get them out by squeezing them together and slowly moving them to the edge of the shield to get it out. good luck! i don't specifically use InvisibleShield by ZAGG but one thats like it that was $9 on eBay and is as good for full body protection!

18. fatalcure macrumors newbie

i would 100% go for Power Support cyrstal film (for the front screen) over this anyday :/

19. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm sad. I got a new iPhone today and I have to send my old one back so that means my invisibleshield will be thrown in the garbage. It's a total shame because it was $37.50 with tax, installed, and I can't afford to be throwing that away every time my phone is replaced!!!!

Anyway, overall, I gotta say the invisibleshield has saved my a** so many times. That sticky grippy feel it has is awesome because you won't ever have to worry about the phone slipping out of your hands... And you can even put it on the dash of your car and it wont slide off, BUT I would NEVER put my iphone up there, the sun will ruin your phone!!! I actually put my iPhone on top of the center console and the invisibleshield sticks right to it, but one time a piece of metal stuck to the back of my iphone (the sim ejector tool go figure!).. And I was a little nervous that i would damage the invisibleshield when I pulled it off, but it was fine.

So, PROS: AWESOME protection, great grip and slip protection.
    CONS: AWFUL CORNER PIECES... No protection for the chrome bezel. Definately am seeing the orange peel look on the back of my white iPhone after 3 weeks!

do you think IS will replace my shield for free if i tell them the corner pieces are peeling off?

20. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I have a BSE (best skin ever), which I'm told is exactly the same thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, it doesn't come with the solution, but it's about 1/3 of the price as IS. I like mine just fine on a White 3G.

21. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Just for clarification, can you confirm if the BSE covers the chrome bezel on the phone?

22. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The BSE covers all but a little bit on each side of the chrome. I would say 1mm on each side maybe a tad more is left, but the majority of chrome is covered by BSE.

BSE is the same as all the rest, just cheaper. People like to claim one is better, but they are all the same damn material.

23. bobbigre macrumors newbie

They will replace it, just save the old one

If you exchange your phone, take off the old shield and call the customer care number at Zagg, they will send you out a new shield for 3.95, shipping. If you then send the old one back the warranty continues. YOu can do this as long as you own the shield. Lifetime warranty.

24. mephiska macrumors newbie

I sent mine back too for a refund. I hated it. The prism effect on the screen blows, and the tacky material ruins the whole touch screen input.

Another vote here for fullbodyfilms.com, its perfect.

Oh, and from what I read the back for fullbodyfilms and the BSE are identical, so what the previous commenter said about all the materials being the same is wrong with respect to Zagg. Zaggs stuff is definitely a different from the other two. Its more tacky and less clear, and slightly thicker.

25. darrengreer macrumors regular

I have installed an invisible shield on two iPod touches, two iPod nanos, and one Canon DSLR. I've been _very_ happy with all of them. However:

-The iPhone 3G back shield was a major PAIN to install. Way too many curves. So, my corners are not the best shape, but it'll work.
    -I also use the belkin silicone cover, and the wrap around edges are slowl messing up my front invisible shield. (I like the thought of some drop protection, so I keep it on)

I'm a fan...