Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
So, is AT&T going to charge us for using tethering on 3.0? I've been using PdaNet on my JB iphone because its free but being that this is a feature from Apple wouldn't AT&T throw a fit? I believe they charge $60 on their other devices to do this?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I believe they charge $60 on their other devices to do this?

Yes, AT&T will charge for tethering once it's "officially" available. AT&T charges an additional $30 USD per month for the tethering option on their phones that support the feature. AT&T charges $60 if you get the stand-alone 3G modem.

Before people start crying about the price - verizon charges the same thing. T-Mobile doesn't because they are the low-cost carrier. Sprint doesn't ANYMORE because they're trying to stop the hemorrhaging of customers leaving for other carriers. *IF* the Pre takes off like most predict, I see Sprint going back to traditional cell plans/rates.

I HOPE AT&T only charges $10 extra per month to allow tethering up to the 5Gb soft cap; I just doubt it will happen that way.

soccerb12ku

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
I no im an idiot for asking this probably.....But what is tethering? I have never heard of it before and i know thats it is a new feature in 3.0

thanks for any help

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
So, is AT&T going to charge us for using tethering on 3.0? I've been using PdaNet on my JB iphone because its free but being that this is a feature from Apple wouldn't AT&T throw a fit? I believe they charge $60 on their other devices to do this?

Is the Earth round? :D

I mean that in the most friendly way possible, too.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Is the Earth round? :D

Nope, it's spherical. Good news everyone, apparently tethering will be available with our data plans at no additional cost!*

*insert generic terms and restrictions offer is subject to here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.