So is "Cloverfield" going to make me ill?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jb60606, Apr 21, 2008.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I had to leave "The Blair Witch Project" half way through and wound up hurling my dinner minutes later. Even after it hit DVD, I had to watch it in 2 different sittings.

Cloverfield is going to be released on DVD today.

I wanted to see it on the big screen, though, withdrew after hearing about all the motion sickness movie-goers were being plagued with.

If you suffered from similar symptoms, would you describe them as worse than what you experienced with BWP?

Or just tell me the movie sucked a$$ and I can avoid it. That way, I can rent The Orphanage instead. I'm becoming a huge fan of Spain's cinema anyways.

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Cloverfield was the most annoying movie ever.

All I can say is take some advil and Dramamine before you watch it.

For me it wasn't bad until the headache went away 3/4 of the way through the movie.

3. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I rarely get motion sickness from too much camera movement, but i literally had to close my eyes a couple of times throughout this movie in order to stop my head from spinning. I can see that they were trying to give a realistic feel to the movie and a lot of people might have liked that, but it was wayy wayy too much camera shaking for me.

In conclusion, "the movie sucked a$$"

4. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Like I said in another thread, it did not make me or my two other friends sick, and we saw it in a theater. :cool:

It might have something to do with the fact that we are young (13 at the time). I also dont get motion sickness.

But if you were having problems with the Blair Witch Project (Havent seen it...) , it might be a good idea to stay away.

Overall, I liked the movie, but I wish there were a little bit more back story.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Well - today I had a brief bout of exactly the same gut-twist-nausea that Cloverfield gave me. It was going backwards on a train (a stupid rear facing seat). Twice, with cloverfield, I just had to close my eyes for a minute or two - let my body ctrl-alt-del it's motion sensing for a minute - then I was fine. but the sensation was like very mild motion sickness.

Doug

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I get migraines and motion sickness but all throughout the film I didn't have a problem. And I was dosed up on Coke Cola :p which usually makes me worse in sickness inducing situations. We sat right in the middle too.

But games, films and TV never make me sick.

7. JLatte macrumors 6502

Never saw Cloverfield, never intending to, however I just wanted to point out that The Orphanage was an awesome movie. Definitely had amazing scare elements that you just don't see anymore. I have no idea what this movie is like on a TV, but seeing it at the independent theater big screen... it gave me goosebumps talking about it on the way home.

8. dingster1 macrumors regular

Well thanks for the warning. I hurled with Blair Witch too!! I also get very bad motion sickness with any films involving water!!

9. jb60606 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks all! Cloverfield will have to wait, at least until I can get my hands on some dramamine (which, I'm not even sure will make a difference).

"The Orphanage" it is.

10. Fuzzy. macrumors newbie

11. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

thought it was fine.

i dont know how people have problems watching it

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

It didn't make me sick. It's a good film, not one of the best, but there are nice decors and It's nice to see a film, filmed in an alternative way.

13. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

The film didn’t make me ill but it gave me one big buddy head-ache it had good means the plot was good but it just dragged on to much and there was no real tension that you need in a film like that + you couldn’t see what was going on most of the time at least Blair witch was funny I would say give it a miss if you suffer from motion sickness un stuff like that. ;)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw it last night and loved it. It was a good, creepy, fun movie. Sometimes that's just what you need. ;) I've got The Orphanage to. I'll be seeing that next.