So is geotagging just a myth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neiltc13, Jul 20, 2008.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I took a photo today out in the open air with my iPhone. I told it to use my current location, yet when I got back to my computer there was no geo data on the photo whatsoever.

Did Apple just pretend to have geotagging in there or does it actually work? :confused:

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

It does work.

I took photo, uploaded it to Facebook, and it showed my location data next to the picture.

R-Fly

3. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Its probably embedded somewhere on the photo. Is there anyway to access the geotag once you've synced it to your PC/Mac?

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The Geotagging is embedded within the image data. The problem is, not many programs out there have figured out how to use it yet. But the software should catch up soon.

Photoshop CS3 does see the information, but you have to go into "File" and "File info," and under "Advanced Properties." The EXIF metadata will show a exif:GPSLatititude and exif:GPSLongitude.

Yeah, I know, it's a long way to go to get location data.

This isn't just a problem with the iPhone, by the way. There are high end digital cameras that use the exact same geotagging standard, and not much supports it YET. It's a lot like buying Blu-Ray back when there were few movies released on Blu-Ray.

5. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I used iPhoto to import the image and it claims there is no data. Uploading the file to Flickr also yields no results.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

To see the results on Flickr you must go into your profile settings and enable Use EXIF Location Data.

7. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

It might depend on the program you use. I took a few photos with the iPhone. In iPhoto "get info" snows lat/lon data. A program for the Mac called "EXIF Viewer" shows the lat/lon data. The FXIF Firefox extension does not show it.

8. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Already one step ahead of you on that one :)

9. cdinca macrumors 6502

here is a dump of all exif data from one of my iphone photos if anyone cares, using "read_exif_data()" in php

Array ( [FileName] => testexif.jpg [FileDateTime] => 1216589487 [FileSize] => 674296 [FileType] => 2 [MimeType] => image/jpeg [SectionsFound] => ANY_TAG, IFD0, THUMBNAIL, COMMENT, EXIF, GPS [COMPUTED] => Array (
    HTML:
     => width="1200" height="1600" [Height] => 1600 [Width] => 1200 [IsColor] => 1 [ByteOrderMotorola] => 1 [ApertureFNumber] => f/2.8 [Thumbnail.FileType] => 2 [Thumbnail.MimeType] => image/jpeg ) [Make] => Apple [Model] => iPhone [Orientation] => 1 [XResolution] => 4718592/65536 [YResolution] => 4718592/65536 [ResolutionUnit] => 2 [Software] => QuickTime 7.3 [DateTime] => 2008:07:20 14:16:11 [HostComputer] => Mac OS X 10.4.9 [YCbCrPositioning] => 1 [Exif_IFD_Pointer] => 250 [GPS_IFD_Pointer] => 364 [THUMBNAIL] => Array ( [Compression] => 6 [XResolution] => 4718592/65536 [YResolution] => 4718592/65536 [ResolutionUnit] => 2 [JPEGInterchangeFormat] => 548 [JPEGInterchangeFormatLength] => 4191 [YCbCrPositioning] => 1 ) [COMMENT] => Array ( [0] => AppleMark ) [FNumber] => 14/5 [ExifVersion] => 0220 [DateTimeOriginal] => 2008:07:20 11:38:56 [DateTimeDigitized] => 2008:07:20 11:38:56 [ColorSpace] => 65535 [GPSLatitude] => Array ( [0] => 36/1 [1] => 5442/100 [2] => 0/1 ) [GPSLongitude] => Array ( [0] => 121/1 [1] => 4689/100 [2] => 0/1 ) )

10. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I see the long/lat information when I look at the info in iPhoto.

I am just curious about the resolution that is being saved.

It is showing in the format:

XX XX X.XX N
    XX XX X.XX W

but the last three digits are all 0.00 I am wondering why it isn't showing the resolution to that detail - does the GPS receive it and the data is not saved?

Anyone else seeing any more resolution than that?

11. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Disclaimer: I am completely new to the whole GPS thing, but tend to catch on quickly, so forgive me if I state the obvious or make a mistake with the following:

Strange, I just noticed something. I've been wanting to do the whole Geocaching/ Waymarking thing but never owned a GPS unit until the iPhone 3G. Apparently it is saving fairly high resolution data but it depends on how you extract this data. In my case, without knowing what I was doing at first, I got the data I was looking for to put on my new Waymarking blog. Here is what I found using the actual data from a photo I took:

The actual coordinates of the photo I took were:
    GPS Latitude: N 34° 5' 46.79"
    GPS Longitude: W 118° 7' 36.12"

I found this by uploading the photo directly from my iPhone to my Dot Mac Web Gallery and then going to "Info", though it only showed the data as:
    34° 5' 46.79"
    118° 7' 36.12"

... and without the N and W it put my photo in a lake somewhere in China when looking at in on Google Maps (after researching I realized I needed to put the N or the W or alternatively a + in place of N and a - in place of W.)

When looking at the info in iPhoto it only shows:
    34° 6' 0.00" N
    118° 8' 0.00" W

Not as accurate.

In Photoshop (CS3) it shows as:
    GPSLatitude: 34,5.78
    GPSLongitude: 118,7.6

Confusing a GPS noob like me even further.

So the most accurate strangely enough seems to be the Dot Mac Web Gallery info. And there definitely needs to be a better or easier way to extract the exact geotagged data from a photo than all of these round-about ways. I am also very surprised that no one has made an iPhone app yet that will let you load in your photo and present you with the geotagged data (I know Geopher is hopefully coming soon, but it won't take data from your photo either, it simply allows you to input data you already have by typing it in.)

Edit: Google maps by the way, further converts my coordinates to:
    34.096331, -118.126700

This along with the Web Gallery info puts my photo in almost the exact place I was standing, within a foot or two.

12. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

genshi,

Good information helps clear up some confusing information.

I too thought a photo goetag type of application would have been a natural, I guess we'll have to wait and see what gets developed.

Thanks for the details.

13. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

Speaking of which, how can I get my location data in a more direct way than taking a photo and reading the EXIF? It seems pretty silly to have a GPS chip and not offer capabilities that are generally standard with GPS functionality. I guess that's quite Apple-like though.

14. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Thank you for the kind words.

Speaking of geo-stuff and apps, Geopher Lite was just finally released. I would have downloaded it immediately but the developer's weblog stated it would be priced at $1.99 and in the app store it is $3.99 which is no big deal to me normally (since I've already spent well over $100 on apps!) but it's not clear if this app actually uses the iPhone's GPS to get your current location first, then allows you to put in a geocache waymark, or if it is simply a glorified web browser that you have to manually enter everything including your current location, which is what the app description sort of sounds like:

Not sure if I want to be the first guinea pig on this app, but if I don't see reviews in a day or so, I'll break down and get it.

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've just done this but can't see no location info on facebook... in iPhoto the file does have the lat/long data...

Do you have to change any Facebook settings?