So is GPS a yes now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jun 3, 2008.

?

GPS in new iPhone

1. Yes, in all models

30 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. Yes, in certain models

24 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Unsure

27 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

technically the results should be 100% - unsure.

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

since all the info we have is rumors, and its conflicting, there is nothing to convince me of any option on the new phone besides 3G.

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I would not be surprised. After all... Apple have to save some features for next year.

Just look at the glacial evolution of the iPod. Just enough tweaks to keep things fresh without eating into the margin Apple makes on each one sold.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure about US markets, but for outside the US, GPS seems to be a very popular option so I would say yes to all models.

What will be interesting is to see the iPod Touch and the iPhone compare feature wise in future.

7. frosse macrumors 6502a

Uhm no? The poll is based on speculation, of course, since no one really knows...

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

There is no way it's coming without GPS. At least the new model, don't know about the thick vs thin stuff though.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    hmm... Not really. It's polling our OPINION, not the facts. If GPS had already been announced then it would be 100% yes and there would be no point for a poll.

It is polling our educated guesses, based upon apple's history and our experiences with apple. Some people haven't looked into it enough to maintain an educated guess So they'll put 'unsure'

10. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

or how about people have been looking into it and are just set on being unsure because there are way to many conflicting rumors and positive and negative cases for implementing GPS...

however if there was GPS, it would most likely be provided through the carrier and you must pay for it. Thats how all cell phone GPS works these days it seems...

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You could use Google Maps, but for true GPS consisting of turn by turn directions etc then yes AT&T offers the AT&T Navigator. I actually like the service as I'm on a trial. It's about $10 a month.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think its likely, however, we'll find out soon.

13. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I say all the iPhones are gonna have the same features...none of this "some have 3G" rubbish. Apple loves simplicity. They dont offer iPods without video etc. It would seem like a crazy move to me. Similarly they don't offer iMacs without iSight...

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Launching Mobile Me (localized services) = Yes

15. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Actually, I meant what you think based on speculation.

16. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I've never understood a monthly fee for GPS and I've had a one-time-fee GPS for a few years now.

I don't see Apple wanting to charge people for a service that can be had for a one time charge of a couple hundred dollars. As usual, the cell phone companies think they can charge for everything even though there is no need for their network to provide turn-by-turn directions. Traffic, maybe - but, even then the iPhone already has live traffic updates.

If anyone is going to convince a carrier to stray from their normal extortion tactics, it's Apple.

17. nlivo macrumors 6502a

my bad. I didn't read the post, I only read the title.

18. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

definitely in the higher end 32gb model however possibly not in 16gb or 8 if it exists.

19. frosse macrumors 6502a

Would one be able to use the GPS with an unlocked phone? Does the carrier have to do something to make the GPS work?

20. kleo macrumors regular

Ya Apple decided to reverse the reversal once again. I hear they just decided to add it on after reading this thread. The people in taiwan making them got pissed because now they have to open up all those thousands of "finished" 2.0 iPhones just to add this feature. The only reason this is confirmed is the uproar from the workers. I dont make this stuff up guyz this forum is for serious posts only!!!

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

My guess will be GPS in all future models

It isn't that big of a deal for me but I have heard enough rumors/speculation for me to believe that it will be added to 3G cellphones

22. needthephone macrumors 6502a

No,unforunately - I hope this recent rumor is wrong though as no GPS will be a serious serious mistake by apple...