So - is it possible to sync my Mac & iPhone contacts / Addressbook.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbrown, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jbrown, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

iPhone 4s ( iOS 5 ). MacbookPro Lion.

So I got my shiny new iPhone - hooked it up and synced everything fine.

Now I have on my MBP done some sorting of my contacts in AddressBook ( deleting a few, changing the info on others ).

But I seem to be unable to since my phone and get my changes onto the phone.

In iTunes I have ticked the ' Sync AddressBook Contacts' button - and synced but no joy. I even tried ticking the ' Replace information on this phone' button - again it did not work.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

:)

NOTE: I do not want to go iCloud at this time - I just want the software to work as it should.

2. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks - but I don't want to sign up for iCloud yet.:)

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Problem Sorted!!

Well - I was having zero luck with this problem.

Followed this thread...but it didn't work ( may be to do with it being a SL fix ).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=989277&highlight=contacts

So I called Apple support - and after describing the problem to the lady...she said that she'd never heard of the problem so it must be extremely rare.

Oh..here we go I thought....deny there is a problem time! :mad:

But she was helpful..and we went through things.

1) Tried normal syncing - no change.:(

2) Tried turning contacts syncing off - then syncing - then turn it on again - then syncing. No joy.:(

3) Tried adding a contact on the phone and then syncing. New contact turned up on computers AddressBook:) This suggested the problem lay on the computer side.

4) Tried syncing other programs to see if they were affected. In this case I added a calendar date to iCal on the computer and then synced. It showed up on my phone:)

At this point she was getting close to giving up!! But carried on.

5) She had an idea to create a new Contacts Group in AddressBook - then try syncing. THIS WORKED:D:D:D Not only did the new group turn up on the phone - but all my contacts were updated ( like I was trying to do in the first ).:):)

4. DerekTS macrumors regular

It's free and it solves the problem you are asking about. Doesnt make any sense to not sign up for iCloud.