iPhone So is it safe to update now?

maclikeimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
9
0
Every time I try to look anything up on my own it's doomsday for the iphone and IOS 8. I tried reading threads on here but this is just moving to fast for me to keep up with :( I have the 16GB 5c running 7.1.2 Model ME556LL/A. I'm sick and tired of this stupid "1" badge on my screen and if it's "safe" to update not I would like to do so. Please guys, lead me down the correct path :D
 

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
2,409
42
If you use OS X I would hold off until Yosemite is out. To benefit from iCloud Drive.

You could also wait for 8.1 which should iron out most of the initial issues and offer Apple Pay if you are in the US.
 

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
3,607
1,792
USA
Believe I would wait until 8.1 in a week or so. Unless you really want/need the new features. 8 is nice but is still a bit buggy. And now there is no turning back to 7.1.2 once you pull the plug.

Move your settings app to a 2nd or 3rd page and you wont have to see the badge :)
 

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
3,163
840
New Zealand
If you use OS X I would hold off until Yosemite is out. To benefit from iCloud Drive.

You could also wait for 8.1 which should iron out most of the initial issues and offer Apple Pay if you are in the US.
Any model below a 6 do not get Apple Pay because of lack of NFC.
 

maclikeimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
9
0
If you use OS X I would hold off until Yosemite is out. To benefit from iCloud Drive.

You could also wait for 8.1 which should iron out most of the initial issues and offer Apple Pay if you are in the US.
I'm OSX 10.9.5 but don't use the cloud. I don't really understand how to get my moneys worth out of it so I just don't. I am in the US, but don't think I'll hop on board with Apple pay right out of the box :(

Move your settings app to a 2nd or 3rd page and you wont have to see the badge :)
Exactly what my wife told me to do lol.
 

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
2,409
42
I'm OSX 10.9.5 but don't use the cloud. I don't really understand how to get my moneys worth out of it so I just don't. I am in the US, but don't think I'll hop on board with Apple pay right out of the box :(
You don't use icloud to backup your devices?

I was referring to these two bugs
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/29/latest-ios-8-bug-reportedly-causes-unwanted-deletion-of-icloud-drive-documents

http://www.macworld.com/article/2684105/don-t-pull-the-trigger-on-upgrading-to-icloud-drive-just-yet.html
 

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
3,415
932
iOS 7 wasn't really stable until 7.1 IMO. Through my dev account I updated all of my iOS devices to 8.1B2, including my new iP6 - much nicer to use now. I'd suggest waiting a week...
 

maclikeimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
9
0
You don't use icloud to backup your devices?
Nope, just my macbook. Should I be? I don't really do much with my phone other than play PVZ2 though. I'm a 32 year old disabled veteran that can't work so my phone is more just for my wife to be able to get hold of me, to have as a phone, and to check my email :(
 

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
2,409
42
Nope, just my macbook. Should I be? I don't really do much with my phone other than play PVZ2 though. I'm a 32 year old disabled veteran that can't work so my phone is more just for my wife to be able to get hold of me, to have as a phone, and to check my email :(
It's up to you I find iCloud backup more convenient.
 

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
2,743
863
AZ/10.0.1.1
And I take the other path and back up to iTunes every week or so. :)
Same here. I find it convent if I have to get a new phone the speed. Even though I have 50-60Mbps (download) internet, its still slow compared to iTunes.

I'm curious to see if we actually get iOS 8.1 this coming week since its only in Beta 2. I have a feeling we are more likely to see 8.0.3 to enable Apple Pay or something. Maybe we'll see 8.1 in another month or so? I say this because iOS 7.1 didn't come out until March of 2013 but it seems Apple is pushing out Betas quicker this year (for instance: iOS 7.1B1 was released Mid-Nov 2012, meanwhile 7.1B2 was released in Mid-Dec 2012).
 

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
1,913
30
Atlanta, GA USA
I can wait. I'm lucky with iOS 8.0.2 on iP6 (and 7.1.2 on iPad 4 & Mini-R, waiting) and not having any of the problems that have been reported.
 

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
1,267
33
If you use OS X I would hold off until Yosemite is out. To benefit from iCloud Drive.

You could also wait for 8.1 which should iron out most of the initial issues and offer Apple Pay if you are in the US.
Why not updated to 8.0.2 and enable iCloud drive when yosemite launches...
 

frankdovdp

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
4
0
I would wait for more time untile major downflow fixed by Apple in next updates. I have problems with Wifi, bluetooth and Safari, which makes the life harder. :D