So, is MBP + iPad 2 the new ultimate combo?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ahheck01, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Now with the extra power and capabilities of the iPad 2, it seems that there are very few uses left for carrying a laptop around day-to-day - especially if you jailbreak. Other than high-end content creation (Final Cut Pro or CS5 etc), there seems to be little the iPad cannot do for most people.

I've been using a 13" Macbook Pro for a long time (upgraded from unibody Macbook to 2.4ghz mid 2010 MBP) as a "mobile" workstation. It sucks for both. It's thick, heavy, and technically limited. 90% of my useage can be transferred to the iPad.

For everything else (I do a fair share of video editing), it seems that the Quad Core 15" Macbook Pro in high-res anti-glare that can dock with a 27" Cinema Display at home would be the ideal power station that can be mobile if absolutely necessary.

Are there any blatant limitations to this setup? Am I the only one thinking this way?

Curious to your thoughts...

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Well, the price of your proposed setup is $3300. Why wouldn't you just spend 1699 on an iMac 27" and 499 on an iPad, costing only 2200?

At that price point you could even grab yourself a base Macbook Pro 13" for 3400 total. if you wanted a portable REAL computer for those rare times you travel.

So, yes, your the only one thinking that way.

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for the actual computer, it needs to be a powerhorse for frequent FCP editing. The way I proposed it's

iPad 3G 16GB: $630
    Macbook Pro 15": $2650
    - 2.2 Ghz Core i7
    - 8GB RAM
    - 128GB SSD
    - Anti-glare High-Res
    Cinema Display: $1000

Total: $4280

With an iMac:
    iPad 3G 16GB: $630
    iMac 27": $2470
    - 2.93 Ghz Core i7
    - 8GB RAM
    - 1TB 7200rpm

Total: $3100

That iMac has a benchmark about 800 points lower than the MBP.

The challenge is, on the days when I want to get out of the office and work from a Starbucks or B&N, with the iMac I'm stuck at home (I work from home). When I work from home, I've got 1 display, also. Either way I have a 27" screen for the editing, but in one case I have a high res 15" screen for daily stuff - IM, email, RSS, etc.

I don't know... it's a challenging decision...