So is my HD Corrupt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gatorman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Gatorman macrumors regular

Okay...so here's my situation.

For the past few months I've had problems with Boot Camp. Originally, when I got my MBP, it worked terrifically!! But lately, I've had a setback. Whenver I want to boot into Windows for work or to play a game...I get a blank grey screen. Then my fans go on overdrive and it sounds like my MBP is about to take off! I do a manual shut down...try to turn it back on and reset the PRAM...nothing. If I manually shut it down and come back an hour later...boots up into OS X just fine. Now, as I've noticed in the last few days....it won't even restart! I'll restart it, and it just sits in limbo in that grey screen.

So am I going to need to buy a new HD? Or am I missing something? All my software is up to date and I installed XP SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

well, when booted in MacOS you could just check the SMART status of your HD using DiskUtility.

3. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

Disk utility says that it's verified. So....is it a software thing?

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i suppose so, a software or driver problem, obviously boot camp and Windows (what a surprise :eek:) is the problem. i don't use boot camp so i'm not sure if it's possible to re-install it without having to wipe the HD? isn't windows on a separate partition? if so, wipe and re-install.

5. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks! I'll give that a shot. Yes, I've got it setup with Windows running on a separate 20 GB partition of my HD. So I wasn't sure if it was a software or a hardware problem. I posted over at Apple Discussions, too, and one guy told me that Apple replaced his HD. So, I figured I'd try here to...seeing as people seem to know more here and are more reliable!

6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

ur wellcome. i aint sure its gonna help but its worth trying.

7. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

FWIW Smart Status isn't always reliable for drive health. Back up your drive right away with CarbonCopyCloner and Winclone to an external drive, then try a reinstall. If it doesn't work, then you'll want to take it to Apple pronto (if under warranty) or replace the drive (out of warranty).

8. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

yeah....unfortunately, that didn't work out and I'm still at square one. :(

9. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, it doesn't even like to restart now, with or without boot camp installed. I'll back it up as soon as I get it up and running again and look into new hard drives, since I'm no longer under warranty. Sigh. Thatnks for the input!

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

back up. wipe everything. get latest bootcamp. re-install MacOS and the rest after, my second advice would be to loose windows but i understand if its not an option.