So, is "Ships in 2 weeks" really 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Darl Bundren, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Darl Bundren macrumors newbie

I just placed an order for an i5, and I am hoping I'll get it while I am on Christmas break (basically, the next two weeks). Is Apple conservative with its shipping timeframe estimates? Might I get my new goody earlier?

Here's hoping.

2. pawtracks macrumors regular

Looks like the order time is quite random to me, plenty of people seem to be getting them quickly (maybe replacement units, maybe not)

But: I ordered mine on Dec 3rd (i7 1TB 8GB RAM) when the order timeframe was still 7-10 days. Quickly changed to ships Dec 17th. Dec 17th came/went, then the status changed to "ships in 4-6 business days" and that is where it is still stalled :mad:

I hope you have better luck

3. Darl Bundren thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I ordered last night, and the ship date is January 5th. That's a long 2 weeks.

4. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Isn't it much easer to just go to a Apple Store or Best Buy and just pick one up?
    Rather than wait 2 weeks for it to ship?
    lol I never get people who do that.
    I trust myself with the delivery a lot more than the UPS people, or whoever does it.

5. InsertName macrumors member

That'd certainly be a reasonable point...if you could get the i7 in a store, which you can't. They're only BTO.

6. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Yes it is, but the closest apple store to me is in Staten Island with the 8% sales tax, refuse to pay that much tax for something this expense. Plus I don't think you can add extra stuff going to the store, like you can online.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Where can you buy it and not pay tax in NYC?

9. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I live in jersey and there isn't any apple stores near me. Staten Island is the closest one.

10. djcorrosive macrumors regular

Just tell Tony soprano, to send around Paulie wallnuts he'll get ya a truck full ;) haha

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Make the 2 hour drive to Delaware. No sales tax.

12. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

not worth it! lol

13. CBAviator macrumors 6502

He didn't say he wasn't paying any sales tax, rather, he just doesn't want to pay 8%. I don't blame him. If I were to go to Denver (closest Apple store to me), I would pay around 8.25% sales tax. If I order it through the mail, I only pay my county tax which is something like 2.9%.

14. Darl Bundren thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked my order status, and apparently they gave me international Apple Care instead of the domestic version, so now I'm supposed to get it on January 8th.

There are no Apple stores around here; we have one really good Apple Care service center/troubleshooting/training/and a few sales place, but they did not have the i5 and they did not offer the educator's discount.

Best Buy is just down the road, but last time I checked, they were sold out of the i5's online, and I don't think they stock them at our store here. I guess they honor the educator deal, but I didn't check. The only Apple guy I've talked to at Best Buy was either uniformed or dishonest, too:

Me in late fall: "So, have you heard anything about the new iMacs coming out?"

Best Buy Apple guy: "Wha?! I haven't heard anything like that, and I'm affiliated with the company, so I think I'd know."

So here I am, looking forward to it getting here.