So is the 3G S quicker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

To move about apps. When you tap messages does it open instantly?

2. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

I don't have one, but given the processor/architecture upgrade, I'm going to say much faster.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Oh I can't wait. FedEx has till 3pm then I'm going looking for him.

4. Radioman macrumors regular

I can't believe how much quicker it seems, all my old gripes about slow loading and locking up temporarily in mail have gone.

This is a mighty big hardware update. I am very pleased with the 3GS :)

5. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

Yeah, I can tell a HUGE difference. Everything just seems snappy, pop up menus just instantly pop up and everything.

6. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

7. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

It really is much better. And the fact that the processor can go to 800MHz sounds even more promising...I wonder if the iPhone community will hack the clock speed.

The camera is much better, although it is still lacking a major feature: zoom. Overall, great upgrade and it will make your iPhone experience much better.

Steve

9. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

10. SethRogen macrumors 6502

I'm a noob by asking this, but if they switched your 3G chip with another phone that had 3G to put into your 3GS that had will you speed get affected?

11. iTouchIt macrumors regular

Right there with ya man.

12. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

in the store this morning i was first in and first to get the phone out...and all the employees were running over to play with it and saying, "wow, FAST!! this thing is so much faster" so i said let me have MY phone!....and let me tell you, it is MUCH faster than my 2g! EXCITING!

also, the video is GREAT!!!!!! I mean....GREEEEAAAAT! better than expected! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. rez07 macrumors member

Did you see anyone hacking the 3g to go untill 600mhz like it can? These things are underclocked for something..

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That wouldn't work.

15. shanew21 macrumors regular

Much quicker. Haven't experienced any slowdowns at all.

16. Buckit macrumors member

It really is a lot faster! I noticed right away... games that normally took forever to come up seem to take less than half the time. I dont get distracted waiting on an app to load anymore! LOL

The only way to zoom is using Digital Zoom.. 100% software base.. you lose TONS of quality by using digital zoom... if they could get a lens that small to actually zoom then it would be awesome... but I cant even imagine how much that would raise the cost of the iphone to develop something like that (based on no research at all so I could be wrong). I agree... zoom would be nice...but only if its true zoom.

digital zoom blows...

17. DuFFy macrumors regular

heres a little perspective.

I setup up my 3GS on 3g next to my 2g iPhone on wifi and loaded macrumors site. the 3gs killed the 2g, it wasnt even close. I think the hardware is an incredible improvement to the performance.

apps open instantly, everything is so responsive, voice control is sweet, and videos are really nice

18. jontucker macrumors 6502

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't really follow, but the speed increase is because of a faster processor and double the RAM.

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Can anyone speak on GAME PLAY itself?

Like, say, Flight Control.

I know the game loads faster, but how is game play effected by the better processor of the phone?

Thanks.

21. foshizzle macrumors regular

Upgraded from original iPhone. I have had it for almost two years and I can absolutely attest to the 3Gs being MUCH faster than the original. Typing, unlocking, opening apps, etc. are all speedy. Especially texting and typing. I notice much of a difference. Great performance all around.