So is the 3G speed better on iphone 4? what about wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 7, 2010.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i keep reading about how the iphone 4 has ...3g speeds and ... upload speeds, but im wondering how much of an increase is this from the 3gs and what about the wifi chip?

2. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I am not so sure about the speed of the A4 processor in the iPhone 4, but do know it is said to be faster. For the WiFi- it just depends on the network your using. The new WiFi chip supports "N" wireless so where "N" is avaliable it will be faster as for B/G wireless your looking at the same as the 3GS.

3. jtara macrumors 65816

I'm assuming WiFi will be similar to iPad, which is disappointing, but not as disappointing as my iPhone 3G.

The iPhone 3G seems capped at about 5mbit/sec. I know the 3GS does much better.

The fastest I've seen on iPad is 22 mbit/sec, while I have seen 30-40mbit/sec on my Mac and Linux systems. 22 mbit/sec is fast, but it's still disappointing that I can't use all the bandwidth I have available.

I should qualify that I'm testing using SpeedTest, which is not a legitimate WiFi test - testing really should be done against a local server, but I dunno of any iPhone/iPad app that will do that.

Absent a real LAN speed test, the best you can do is time downloading a file from a computer on your LAN. That's dicey, though, since it would depend on some filesystem app, which might have it's own speed issues, protocol overhead, etc.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3G data = same as 3Gs
    WiFi data = faster when on an 802.11n router supporting 2.4 Mhz.