Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
As the topic says, does anyone know if the 5th avenue Apple Store is completely sold out as well?

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
CNBC mentioned yesterday that the 5th ave store sold more than 7.4k ipads in the first two days.

That number just seems silly to me, it's so high. But if so, that's pretty amazing.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
CNBC mentioned yesterday that the 5th ave store sold more than 7.4k ipads in the first two days.

That number just seems silly to me, it's so high. But if so, that's pretty amazing.

The scalpers were going gangbusters buying them up in New York

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009

Why does it seem high? NYC has about 3% of the US population, PLUS apparently some VERY well-organized Chinese export gangs.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I would be curious to hear the numbers from this weekend? I bet they wait till friday to say in the first week of the iPad 2 we sold XXXXXXXXX

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
Why does it seem high? NYC has about 3% of the US population, PLUS apparently some VERY well-organized Chinese export gangs.

That's just a lot of stock to move in 29 hours. Of that they were only open about 17 hours or so. That makes it a sale of 441 per hour, or 7-8 per minute, every minute they were open. That is a huge number, especially with the time it takes to swipe a cc and talk with people about cases, etc.

Not an impossible number. Just a big one.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
That's just a lot of stock to move in 29 hours. Of that they were only open about 17 hours or so. That makes it a sale of 441 per hour, or 7-8 per minute, every minute they were open. That is a huge number, especially with the time it takes to swipe a cc and talk with people about cases, etc.

Not an impossible number. Just a big one.

Then you have to calculate how many workers there are.

I for one, think it's possible and reasonable.

ssb333

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
As the topic says, does anyone know if the 5th avenue Apple Store is completely sold out as well?

5th Ave store all sold out along with SoHo, UWS, and 14th Street. Waited 2 hours on the line for the SoHo store today, but came away empty handed. Then headed to the 5th Ave line. Way too many Chinese scalpers they buy out the iPads as soon as it becomes available. It's like they are camping out there. As soon as someone gets a whiff they call the others in and clear our the store. Very annoying.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Of all the places to get one, NY has to be one of hardest. What with the scalpers running around.

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
when does 5th ave usually get shipments? Do they get it like at 4-6am? and if so is that when they go on sale? or do we have to wait til the morning? anyone have any experience with this or knowledge about their shipments?

GCY

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
NYC
when does 5th ave usually get shipments? Do they get it like at 4-6am? and if so is that when they go on sale? or do we have to wait til the morning? anyone have any experience with this or knowledge about their shipments?

I heard they've been selling them at around 8-10am the last 3 days. The question is...do they sell them at other times throughout the day?

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I heard they've been selling them at around 8-10am the last 3 days. The question is...do they sell them at other times throughout the day?

No they don't. Once they start selling in the morning they are sold out within an hour max and that's it.

I might try my luck tomorrow and I'm torn between going to W14 or UWS.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
No they don't. Once they start selling in the morning they are sold out within an hour max and that's it.

I might try my luck tomorrow and I'm torn between going to W14 or UWS.

I haven't heard much about what's going on in the Upper West Side. That is there new store, I wonder how much they're getting. I'm going to try my luck at W14 tomorrow, simply because it's in walking distance lol.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't heard much about what's going on in the Upper West Side. That is there new store, I wonder how much they're getting. I'm going to try my luck at W14 tomorrow, simply because it's in walking distance lol.

What have you heard for W14? And what time are you going if you don't mind me asking.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
What have you heard for W14? And what time are you going if you don't mind me asking.

I went to W14 on Monday and was about 20th in line, they got zilch. A couple guys on the board said they've got stock Tuesday and yesterday. A fellow Macrumors poster PM'd stating there were about 150 people (rough estimate) yesterday morning. I'm going to wake up at 6 and head down. I'll get there by like 6:25-6:30 on foot. Knowing my luck they probably won't have any, or I'll have to settle for a 32GB White. Don't think I'll buy a black one. I really want the white.

Click the link in my sig and you'll get a picture of what I look like if you decide to come down tomorrow.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Huh? The store is open 24/7/365.

That store can move a LOT of volume. You should see it on Black Friday.

Exactly. We stood in line at 5th Ave on March 11th. At one point a store employee passed down the line counting heads, and told us we were #370 and #371. When sales began at 5 pm, we were in and out with our iPads by 5:45. So say they could sell 400 iPads in an hour. And the report is they sold 7400? That could be done in 18 and a half hours. Actually, no. Each person in line could buy as many as 2 iPads, though we only bought one each. But it doesnt take longer to ring up two iPads as opposed to one, so they can potentially move up to 800 iPads an hour. So they could have sold the reported number of iPads in under 10 hours.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I'm hoping that by Friday or Saturday the Soho store has gotten some stock. The demand is crazy right now.

ustrup

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any sense of what kind of stock they get, is it a mix. Looking for AT&T 3G but not sure the stores get any stick at all of those.

ustrup

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
3G AT&T Availability in Stores

Are AT&T 3G models total long shot by (in NYC)? Does anyone know of stores restocking these?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.