So is the final verdict on Apple SSD's "suck?"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arachn1d, Apr 18, 2010.

1. arachn1d macrumors member

I was waiting a couple days before jumping on the SSD bandwagon through Apple in hopes that they've "upgraded" their SSD units; however I haven't really read anything on this, so can anyone let me know?

Is Apple still using "bad" SSD's in the new MBP's?

Also, what's the comparison?" How much worse are they?

2. trondah macrumors 6502

I can't comment on their quality but at least in Norway the price pr MB is a bit lower on an X25-M Gen2 than Apple's SSD upgrade. And the X25 is definitely faster.

3. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

everything is relative. On paper, their benchmark performance is woefully lacking compared to similarly priced aftermarket SSD's like Intel or OCZ. In reality, you'd probably be happy with it regardless because it will still be a marketable improvement versus any laptop mechanical drive you're using.

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Weak compared to Intel drives, not so weak compared to mechanical. I went for one, I figure it'll be a nice change.

5. Echnin macrumors newbie

No, that's not right. At least not if you're upgrading to a 128 GB SSD on one of the models with a 5400rpm 500GB with a student discount; then it's only NOK 1530, compared to buying a Intel G2 X25-M 160 GB for 3400,- plus S&H. Huge difference. And despite 5 days already passing, no one knows yet whether Apple are using the same drives as before; there are indications they are using decent drives this time around.

So to answer the thread starter: nobody knows. We're still waiting for someone to get theirs.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Generally speaking the only four viable solutions for Apple would be, in regards to reliability and proven track record, Samsung, Toshiba, Marvell or Intel.

We know they don't use Intel, so that leaves Toshiba, Marvell and Samsung controllers.

A forum user said that the 512GB Solid State Disk were Toshiba-based.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Isn't the Toshiba 512gb drive supposed to be pretty good though? Maybe not the fastest but reliable.

8. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Toshiba drives I've tested in the past (including those used in the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro) are much slower than the competing SSDs. The best two choices, IMHO, are OCZ Vertex and Crucial M225. The Crucial C300 is the fastest of all but only if you have a 6Gbps SATA III interface -- which the MBP does not have internally.

9. trondah macrumors 6502

You're right, as far as the 500gb models go. For the 13" it's really expensive.

10. ginandtonic macrumors member

With the intel x25 SSD you don't get the degradation of up to 70% of SSD performance over time, if you have windows 7 in bootcamp with TRIM installed...

11. Echnin macrumors newbie

This sounds unlikely. I doubt a Windows application can do anything with Mac partitions...

12. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

TRIM will only affect the part of the drive with an NTFS file system.

13. gecko91 macrumors member

How about the OCZ Vertex Turbo? I know it's faster, but does the battery life take a hit? If there is not much difference between the Vertex and the Turbo then I'll be ordering that for my MBP :cool:

14. ttran88 macrumors regular

Crucial m225 ftw! can't wait. got it for 480 shipped :D

15. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

From where?

16. ttran88 macrumors regular

I got a really good deal on eBay brand spankin' new. I think its usually 600 plus tax. The guy sold it to me for 525 and I used 8% bing cash back to make it 480 no tax shipped :p