So is the iPod Touch video camera just as good as iPhone 4's?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by brent0saurus, Sep 4, 2010.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

So the iPod Touch shoots 720p.... But the camera is 0.7 megapixels. Does this effect the video quality? I always thought 720p was 720p.. But is it worse because it's a lower megapixel count? Can someone please explain this to me?
    Thanks!

2. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Ummm... Correct me if I’m wrong (not a 100%), but my understanding is that the video quality will be the same, but the still images will look much worse.

Unless, all of the special little camera features Apple added to the iPhone 4 (not present in the iPhone 3G) aren’t included. If that’s true, then the quality of both videos and images will be greatly reduced.

Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s my understanding. :)

3. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Soon to Find Out

There's no way to find out until they are released. When people receive their iPod Touch, there will be many comparisons and tests to conclude the performance and internals of the new iPod Touch.

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

The megapixel count doesn't mean much. People don't get that. I have an old sony camera (5Mp) and it still beat's any cell phone camera and my girlfriends 12Mp sony camera.

The sensor size, quality and the lens are way more important the megapixel count.
    From the spec sheet looks like they put it just to make movies or for the odd picture.
    Since teens don't like privacy and post their life on the web the camera on an internet able ipod touch is a great selling point for a teen.

I would prefer an iphone witch was a decent camera but the friggin' thing costs more 3 64gb ipod touches together in my country (1300 eur for a friggin' iphone?)

5. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Blackburn is right. The picture quality will most likely be the same but the picture size is smaller.

So if you took a picture with both an iPod touch 4 and iPhone 4 of the same scene, then zoomed in 2x the iPod touch image would look worse. But generally, if you aren't into heavy photo manipulation, they will look just fine.

It's all about the lens, the sensors and the stuff like that.

Correct me if i'm wrong

6. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Thats assuming they are using the same quality sensors in the iPod. Something I doubt considering how much cheaper and thinner it is.

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Since the it has a really low pixel count, they can keep it cheap and still look good. Yeah it's a very slim camera but anyway let's wait. It's the only thing left to do..