So is the new macbook pro 13" worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Jun 23, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

I am getting quotes now! probably will get the student discount + ipod touch or just employee discount calling apple now will update this post once I get quotes (CAD)
    Update: $1315 with employee discount; $1299 with educational discount + ipod touch (259)

education discount ftw but still expensive!!

2. qacjared macrumors regular

Here's my question:

If I offered you a base MBP and an 8GB iPod Touch or $1299 Canadian dollars what would you choose?

3. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I'd take the $1299 so I can get tickets to fly to california
    :D

4. qacjared macrumors regular

I was trying to answer your question about being worth it because buying is all about your subjective benefits being more than your subjective costs. I.E. The only way it can be worth "it" is for you to value a Base 13" MBP and a 8GB 2nd Gen Touch more than you value $1299 Canadian Dollars. If the $1299 Canadian dollars are worth more to you than said apple product you are getting less benefit than you could otherwise with the money. (I.E Opportunity Cost)

5. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

6. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

It doesn't sound like you really want the laptop and iPod. You shouldn't have to ASK is it worth it. It's all up to you. If I were you, of course it would be worth it. It's a new laptop and iPod touch for about $1300. Why not ...

7. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I was a satisfied aluminum MacBook owner. I sold it to upgrade to the 13.3" MBP. I'll have it in a few days. My sole gripe with the MB was the short battery life.

8. boston44 macrumors 6502

Let's just say I'm about as cheap as they come. I contemplate every move I make many times before pulling the trigger. If you want this macbook, there is no better time to buy. I got it with the touch and printer, and it's truly amazing. Everything is just great, screen, keys, trackpad, you won't be sorry if you buy it.

9. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

don't think about it...just buy it...there is no better time to buy a MBP from apple....you can sell the touch and printer and offset your cost if you don't need them

10. Lotharseven macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about the 13" pro myself. Looks good. Doesn't it have the same 9400m you sold the iMac in your sig for?

11. poematik14 macrumors member

oh god its ap economics class all over again

12. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

argh yeah the 9400m sux

13. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

u get a printer too

14. jasony0423 macrumors newbie

you get a $99 rebate on a $99 printer, just like you get a rebate of exactly the price of the ipod touch.

15. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Yes I believe it does. For me, the upgrades would be better screen, FW800, battery life, and SD slot.

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I wouldn't say it sucks. It all depends on what you're using it for. I don't game on computers, so I'd be fine. The only thing I could even imagine it would help me out in is editing short films. And even so, it's not like I'm doing this for a job or anything. Just for fun. So if you need or want a good MB it's good.

17. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

YES ITS WORTH IT! If you end up paying less than its retail value compared to other store prices or online prices, you are getting a great deal.