So is the new Touch ID going to be multi user friendly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vistokid, Oct 26, 2016.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

Seems like there's a lot of people out there that share a laptop at home. We do this by having our own accounts/passwords when we log in.

With the iPad you can have different people with Touch ID access but in the end it takes you to the same place.

I would assume the new MBP will be able to take you to your account and your other family members to theirs using Touch ID.

2. eroslws macrumors 6502

Probably, yeah. It's just another method of authentication; I don't see why it would behave any different than a password. In fact, I wager that the SoC probably sends some sort of password to the computer when you use a valid fingerprint so maybe very little is done on the MacOS side of things.

3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I would think so. Each account would have a fingerprint tied to it.

4. vistokid thread starter macrumors 6502

Would be a major fail IMHO if this wasn't a feature. Mind you I think it should be a feature on iOS for iPad as well.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

People still share laptops? I thought that was only back in the days of single computer homes!

I've always viewed a laptop as a personal device, family desktop would be different.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is extremely common for households. Hence why it brings you to a login screen with a guest account by default.

I would imagine there would be touchID on all accounts, or at least all ADMIN accounts.