Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Is there a way to store music on AW without using iTunes ?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
It's really dependent about what is on your phone, I'm pretty sure, so, depending on how your acquired your music, iTunes may be irrelevant.

As you know AW has a 2GB internal storage. Is there a way to put MP3’s into there WITHOUT using iTunes ?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Yes. The Apple Watch doesn't interact with iTunes at all. It interacts with the Music app on your phone through the Watch app (also on your phone). So, get your files into the Music app without using iTunes (such as by downloading them directly from the iTunes Music Store). That is one way. There may be others, such as third party utilities to get files you already have (purchased outside of the iTMS) onto the phone.

Reactions: DJTaurus

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It also depends on how you define iTunes. Apple includes iOS music app as part of "iTunes", and by far there is no app that can transfer music files from iOS device to Apple Watch except Apple's own music app.
So, while you can load music from computer to your iOS music app without using iTunes, you may have no choice to load music to your Apple Watch without using iOS music app.
PS: If you have Apple Watch series 3, you have up to 8GB to store your music depending on your model. It is no longer 2GB.

Reactions: DJTaurus

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Look guys. My main issue is that i don’t want to open the PC. I have all my MP3’s on a synology Nas. I tried with ds audio app on watch but it only gives you commands in order to play music on your phone and command it from your watch. I also tried to send MP3’s on Vlc watch app and it does the same thing. None of these 3rd party apps store music on Apple Watch storage. I have to open the pc and use the f iTunes. On the other hand when transferring photos from any source you want to your iPhone and put them to ios photo app yes you can do it with third party apps....without the need of iTunes......with music I either have to use iTunes on pc or start using cloud services like Apple Music,Spotify,gplay and paying subscription. I don’t get apples logic. They have opened access to 3rd parties for photos but not for music....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.