So is there is burn-in on 2012's? (Or VERY bad IR)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karpich1, May 1, 2013.

1. karpich1, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

karpich1 macrumors regular

I've dug through some of the threads and I'm seeing conversations going all over the place.

I'm looking to buy a 27" 2012 iMac w/ 680MX gpu.

Is there actually burn-in? Or is it just image-retention.

And if it's just image retention, is it just "average" IR for an IPS? Or is it just incredibly bad: fast to occur, long to linger, etc.

Though, I do have to say, I have a 27" IPS from Dell and if it has IR then it's barely noticable. So I'm hoping it's just overly-observant people reporting.

I'd like to (finally) make the switch BACK to a Mac... but my PC is still fairly strong. If this is a really bad issue I can wait though I'd rather not wait another year. I don't care about Haswell or a even slightly-faster gpu... just if the screen is solid.

I KNOW that I'm going to get some people posting "WTH not another thread" but for the ones I found I saw people calling their IR burn-in, or freaking out at the fact that it happens at all.

Thanks in avance

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I know I was at the Apple store this past weekend and saw a IMAC 27 there with bad burn in or whatever it was on the screen when it was white. My Apple Cinema which is the same display has none of that. So I hope when I get my IMAC it doesn't have this issue I saw on the floor one either.

3. Davieis macrumors regular

No IR on mine (i7, 680MX, 3TB Fusion). I was scared of it having IR before I bought it.

Pretty sure its not an issue on EVERY machine. I think it's probably only with certain panels (perhaps theres more than one manufacturer alike the RMBPs)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No issues with my 27" 3TB 2GB VRAM model either...Had it since January and it has no IR at all.

5. elberggreno macrumors member

No IR on my i7/680MX, however my friend ordered the same config at the same time and has a lot of IR on his, so it seems like it comes down to luck..

6. Macman45, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A bad batch of screens perhaps. Two buddies bought 21.5's and neither of their Mac's has any form of IR either.

7. karpich1 thread starter macrumors regular

From some of the older posts I read, it seemed like the 27" were having more issues than the 21" models. Which even the threads said was odd since both panels were made by the same manufacturer.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If you come to a forum like this you are going to find trouble, coming here is like trying to determine the health of a population by only visiting hospitals. If that is what you do you will come away convinced people are generally sick which clearly isn't correct.

There are probably a very very very few amount of machines that have an issue, get an iMac, when you do, you have 14 days to return it, 1 year of warranty and you can buy AppleCare (about $150) to extend the warranty to 3 full years. If you want an iMac just go get the darned thing and quit visiting the hospital.

9. Davieis macrumors regular

I'm certain Apple is using both Samsung and LG panels for the iMac (as they are with the Retina MBP). I've owned the LG and Samsung panels on my RMBP and I can notice that the fine colour detail/tones on my iMac match my RMBP with the Samsung display. Both have no ghosting whatsoever, hence I'm sure they are both Samsung. The LG's colours from memory are a tad more dull and less vivid and obviously experience ghosting issues. I think due to the public backlash of the RMBP's screen lottery, Apple has made it impossible to determine the manufacturer of the iMac's screen (via terminal and possibly on the physical part)

10. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

Bought my iMac late 2012 last December - no IR at all. Great machine!

11. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm fairly certain that only LG makes 27" IPS panels for the iMacs. Does Samsung even have a 27" IPS panel? I know they have PLS panels..

Anyhoo, As has been stated many times before, any noticeable IR is not acceptable, and the panel should be exchanged. Most iMacs out there do not have IR, despite what the fear-mongers would have you believe.

13. perspectivebass macrumors newbie

I had 4 iMacs 2012 all had image retention... Asked for a refund in the end. No imac for me i just wait for a mac pro, more expensive but no crapy displays from apple...

The last weren't very sever, probably most people dont notice, but because of my job i happen to have a lot of static images for 6 hours+ so really minor IR showed in about 40 min. But minor IR is IR and shouldn't be there even on IPS i have had more IPS panels wich don't show IR.