So is this the macbook update weve been waiting for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcanadiensfan71, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mcanadiensfan71 macrumors newbie

so is this the new macbook update b4 christmas???
    Man, i was expecting somethin much bigger as an update rather than adding santa rosa. So if i wanna buy a macbook should i buy now???

2. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

I would recommend buying one now, then if apple release a new one, you can return it for a new one.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There won't be anymore updates for the macbook this year. The same goes for the mbp. If you need one this year, now is the perfect time to buy one. I don't think you can expect a case redesign for a while. The macbook cases are fairly new because they were redesigned when the Intel upgrade happened. Sure the white still resembles the iBook, but the black surely doesn't ;)

Exactly what were you expecting from the update? Perhaps you were hoping for something that would never be?

4. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Buy now. Another update won't come till around May. And if you're unhappy with this update, you'll probably be unhappy with that one. The only product updates that give you "what you want" are usually with the Pro models.

5. DoogieWoogie macrumors member

Count yourself lucky. the uk store still has the old type of macbook.
    :(

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Consider yourself lucky. You don't have the glossy screen shoved down your throat (yet).

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For the UK people, you'll have to wait until Apple builds a wall of MacBooks around the Greenpeace ship to stop it from causing problems and notifying the work the machine is a toxic waste dump. ;)

8. mcanadiensfan71 thread starter macrumors newbie

uhhhhh, i was expecting a silver aluminum casing, a much thinner and lighter design, along with the Santa Rosa chip, or even better the Penryn chip...

9. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

lol i love how people say they want thinner MacBooks

Have you not looked at a MacBook lately? their as thin as they can possibly be, unless they sell them with no FireWire ports

Unless they employ that recent patent of fold down sockets.... ;)

10. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i think you should definetly buy now!

i'm going to be buying one of the new macbooks soon. i'm eagerly awaiting switching from PC to mac and originally decided until leopard was released to buy one. then when all the rumours came out about macbook updates and what not i decided to wait.

yes a new aluminium case would have been ace! yes a superdrive would have been good! but it's still a good update, and i doubt it'll be updated anytime in the future, probably around spring time. i suppose you could wait until then to buy a better, more updated macbook, but then by that time you'd probably be thinking 'but if i wait until next november, they'll probably update the macbook again!' :p

technology changes and with months your always going to have an out of date machine, just go for it and buy one. i know i am :)

11. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

haha, keep dreaming

12. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You'll be waiting for a long time.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I hear you! I was really hoping it would ship with iLife 09 instead of Leopard.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Subtle.

I think this update to the macbooks was more than fair. New chips, a .1 lb weight loss, and in a pretty portable machine. I don't know how much more (except maybe in the RAM department...Apple always gets away with less in this area) one could ask for in a consumer notebook.

15. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

are you shure you talk about mackbook?
    it sounds like you're dreaming of a MPB...

16. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

If you need one now, get the best available you can afford. There will always be a newer, faster, better looking system down the road.

17. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I would buy now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time the MB's have ever been as fast as the MBP's, processor wise. In the past, they've always been about 200mhz shy of the bottom of the line MBP. Not any more. I think this was a great update. More RAM (not stock unfortunately), faster processor, and new integrated graphics (would rather dedicated). Plus they ship with Leopard! Oh, I don't see how they can get too much thinner.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Prior to the core duo macbooks being released, the MBP had 1.83/2.0 with a BTO 2.16 option. When the core duo macbooks came out, they were 1.83/2.0. On that day the MBP went to 2.0/2.16 standard. So in that first generation, even with the MBP adjustment, the top end MB was as fast as the low-end MBP.

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Surely the MacBook has always been of the glossy type...new or older models.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yup. Macbook has been glossy since the day it came out.

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I know! The bottom of the MacBook case is only slightly taller than the USB port. Just what are people expecting?

22. Kendall015 macrumors regular

People want a 12" MBP.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

A 1" thin 12.1" mbp would be really sweet and wouldn't require the laws of physics to be broken. That's what I'm waiting for...

24. sportsnut macrumors regular

But will they pay $1800 or more for it?

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes.