So, is this the time to try out FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by johnvr, Jun 21, 2011.

1. johnvr macrumors newbie

I've dabbled a bit with FCP in the past and later with Final Cut Express. I'm a journalist, I'm intrigued by video and think I should know more about it, but I don't need it in my daily work.

I've always had trouble with the rather steep learning curve that FCP demanded. Now that the new version is a complete remake, would this be a good time to try it out again or is the experience really the same as before (i.e. steep learning curve before you produce anything that's worthwhile)?

Thanks.

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Anytime is a good time.

Learning a program is one thing, but learning how to edit is another.

Just because you know Microsoft Word really well doesn't make you a good writer. Same thing.

3. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

+1

Read Larry Jordans blog ... He's a key guy in the film editing arena and Apple even regards him as such.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I find that it's always worthwhile to take a course. When I made the switch from Avid to FCP, I did and it was very helpful.

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

My personal experience is the following:

I used to own FCS 3.5 and at the time, shelled out nearly $1,800 for it but most of the programs went to waste because I didn't need something that powerful. Years later and my transition to Intel Macs and I started to use iMovie because frankly, I did most of what I needed and I'm very good at making programs do what they are not suppose to.

I have a good idea of what I want and only recently has iMovie no longer been fitting my needs. Most of my content is web stuff between 5-15 minutes. Now with FCPX, it's the perfect time. It will not call it iMovie Pro because it's so much more but it's the perfect stepping stone.

So I would say, how familiar are you with iMovie? Will it do most of what you need? If so, start out there and push the program till it no longer will do what you want it to do, and then transition to the new FCPX and by then, a lot of the training and classes should be ready for it.

Because let's be honest, most pieces are truly only cuts from one thing to another. Once we get into multi layer audio, video and fancy graphics is when we need something more, otherwise, iMovie might just do it for you.

6. stix666 macrumors regular

Does iMovie have all the keyword tagging options of FCP X?

I have played around with FCP X for a couple of days and think it's outstanding for prosumers. I hate iMovie BTW.

Aside from the under the hood rendering improvements, the ease with which clips can be sorted, tagged, selected, enhanced and edited is a joy in FCP X. I think it will end up improving the storytelling process. Highly highly recommended if you're starting out with prosumer ambitions and don't need the pro stuff that's not there yet (EDL, OMF, output to tape etc)

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

As person who doe's most of my FCP editing at home I'm not that worried about the tape export option right now. I don't own a HDCAM SR deck nor do I want to buy one. If I need to get a project over to tape I will just take a hard drive with a flattened prores movie file to a dub house.

Only thing I really need right away is multi-cam.