So is Winterboard safe/ worth it yet?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by silroc, Aug 9, 2010.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

I seemed to have read a bunch of comments scattered about that winterboard is not really optimized for 4.0.1 yet. And for the most part many of the mods can be implemented without it-

Is this stll true?

Last night I had a cluster f of an event and had to wipe my phone and start over, and so far have decided not to reload winterboard. I felt like 75% of the things i tried to have it run, didnt work...... ?? (or i was and am still too much of a noob to understand)

appreciate the real word from MR experts!

thanks

2. celticpride678

The only feature not working in WinterBoard as far as I know is user wallpapers.

As for things not working - the file structure completely changed in iOS 4, which is why most of the themes and tweaks that you may install will not work until they get updated.

3. motty2307 macrumors regular

Some things are still buggy but I haven't had any real issues. Wallpapers, other than the Saurik theme included with Winterboard, don't work though. I was able to get a Duracell battery charging screen to work which is pretty cool IMO.

As long as the lockscreen or whatever you're downloading says something about Retina or iPhone 4 it should work. Maybe not for everything but i've had success.

4. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Any information on whether Saurik is planning on making Winterboard completely iOS 4 or iPhone 4 compatible?

Thanks!

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What do you mean by "completely iOS 4 . . . compatible"? As far as I know, Winterboard is now already iOS 4 compatible. What do you think needs to be fixed?

6. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Sorry for my misunderstanding -- I was under the impression that Winterboard was not completely compatible with the iOS 4 and that to make a theme currently on winterboard, every app's icon has to be placed inside a specific folder which has the bundle name of that app (like com.ookla.speedtest for SpeedTest) rather than the old way where all of the icons for a theme could simply be placed in one folder called 'Icons'.

Am I wrong in assuming that this was a workaround for some incompatibility in Winterboard with iOS 4? Not trying to troll or anything, just honestly don't know.

Thank you!

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I believe this is the way Winterboard was always supposed to work. At least that's the way it was described in Saurik's original post on Winterboard. The Icons folder was just there for legacy support for old Summerboard themes.

8. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I installed Winterboard right when Jailbreakme was released, other than user wallpapers I haven't had any issues.

9. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Same here.

10. adamsweeting macrumors regular

No issues here. Don't use the user wallpaper, so all good for me.
    BTW - using ip4

11. danwms macrumors member

i need to user wallpapers to be fixed otherwise glasklart is useless.

12. adamsweeting macrumors regular

GlasKlart is useless until the 3rd party app icons are fixed anyway.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why not just enable iOS 4's native wallpapers?

14. danwms macrumors member

How.

There are some themes that put their own wallpapers on.
    I use the user wallpaper option so that i can keep some of the icon and GUI aspects of the theme but use my own wallpaper.

how can i do that when the user wallpaper functionality does not work.

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Most of what I've tried to use in Winterboard isn't working due to the change in directories of basically every tweakable thing in iOS4. I've used SSH to manually change a lot of stuff myself, but the one thing that's still driving me nuts is the inability to change anything on the status bar. According to MMI, you can just create a UIImages folder under your theme (if one isn't there--and none of the themes I have had it) and put the icons in it, but that doesn't work either. It's getting old.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can achieve what you describe by using open SSH to access the file system of the phone and change wallpaper in any theme in winterboard.
    The files are located in /private/var/stash/themes.KgMdSU. You find the appropriate theme and substitute your wallpaper.png file in place of the one already there. In some more complex theme with multiple wallpapers they are in a sub-directory. For example in Saurik theme they are in a Sub directory called Private. You can also create your own themes with winterboard and there are tutorials you can Google for information.

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Because if you install a theme with a wallpaper in it, it's impossible to override that wallpaper without removing it manually with SSH or iFile from the theme directory on the phone. There may be 100 pieces of a theme I may love but I still want to use my own wallpapers.

The usual "drag 'User Wallpaper' theme above the theme" doesn't work.

I uninstalled Winterboard all together. It was too hit and miss with what would work and wouldn't work. I couldn't make the dock transparent, the "White Text" for making the program names white was extremely hit and miss. Sometimes they would be white, sometimes grey, sometimes it would vary between SB pages. I'll reinstall it in a couple of revisions.

18. danwms macrumors member

19. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Not sure if this is winterboard related, but has this happened to anyone? I noticed this after I JB'ed a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

The only options I have enabled in the WB theme is
    biteSMS to retina SMS
    IOS 4 Statusnotifier icon
    and No Docked Icon lables.

No ultrasnow or anything else like that installed. Just JB'ed.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, seems you've already found a workaround.

21. pault106 macrumors member

I take it you are referring to the blank usage stats? If so, this happens everytime you respring in wb.

22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I think he might be referring to the Carrier name at the top of the screen.

23. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

SSHing a wallpaper out is very easy and quick. Its named wallpaper.png and is in the top folder.

Many themes are doing the bundles metod for you at this point. I think sauve HD has 110+ packaged up and knows about 200 bundle names. Were getting there

24. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thanks, thats exactly what I'm referring to. I was curious as to why the usage stats don't show anymore.

25. fs454 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know how to fix the text shadowing when Winterboard is installed?

When you initially install it, the icon labels turn gray, which can be disabled by unchecking it in Winterboard, but then the icon labels are pre-iOS4 shadowed(barely any dropshadow). Looks ugly and unprofessional on an iPhone 4. Anyone fix this? it's a dealbreaker imo.