So it turns out the MBA is awesome!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by matt3526, May 7, 2014.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MBP. Last week it had to be taken to the store to have a screen replaced (on my last day of apple care luckily). As it would have meant being without a computer for a week, I decided to buy a MBA and then return it when I got my computer back (I pre warned the shop of my intentions and they gave me the green light).

The first thing I notices was how much faster than my MBP it was, I mean really, it was lightening quick in comparison. That coupled with the long battery life and the weight meant I really preferred it a lot. If it wasn't for the wimpy SSD size, graphics chip and low processor speeds I'd make the switch permanently. Unfortunately though, my requirements mean that it isn't suitable and I have to wait for MBP's with non-laughable SSD sizes to be affordable :(

All in all, I was really surprised as just how good they are, and for the light user they are super impressive for the price!

2. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

It's the PCIe SSD. It makes a world of difference. I put one in my MBP and it's like night and day, even though it's still SATA.

3. LiAh Sheep macrumors newbie

LiAh Sheep

Apple gave you the green light so you can feel how amazing the MacBook Air is, and spread the excitement on the forum... I see what you did there, Apple.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It's natural that a 2014 MBA will feel faster than a 2011 MBP with Sandy Bridge? Did you try the newer MBP's in store? Especially the retina models?

5. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

I don't know what qualifies as 'affordable' but I just bought a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO sad for my 2011 macbook pro for $460 off Amazon.

It's a complete game changer for what I consider an affordable price. Just a year ago, a 1TB sad would run over $1000 if you could even find one at all.

6. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

The retina models have SSDs also. The main reason for the speed increase is the speedy, but more expensive, SSD.

And, a newer computer doesn't "naturally" imply a much faster computer. A 2012 MBA is basically the same speed as a 2014 MBA.

7. erasr macrumors 6502

My 2011 MBA is lightening fast. People at work always comment on it, so much so they can't even see what im doing whilst clicking through and opening stuff, it's so quick.

However, I should probably upgrade near the end of this year just to keep up with the times and avoid any issues with mine. It's essential every day for work.

Oh but one thing, I dislike the MBA screen. It doesn't compare well to the MBP Retina, but I guess that's just personal taste.